Model Cars Magazine Forum

testors one coat lacquer

h3ae86

I just bought a can of testors one coat lacquer and after spraying the body of my model, bubbles appeared all over the place i was wondering what i did wrong but mainly i want to know how to strip the lacquer off. would this stuff work?

043318130052lg.jpg

DOT-3 brake fluid will take it off in a flash! The Testors Lacquers are almost like the enamals in terms of softness (not in quality, as the lacquers are much better if you have a LIGHT TOTCH and a good base coat), so if it takes off the enamals, it should take of the lacquers.

As you probably know, Brake fluid is VERY DANGERIOUS to to work with; so take extreme caution and were eye and hand protection, and use it outside.

One more thing for the lacquers, If you apply it over a bare unprimed body, you might get problems (Like BUBBLES, CRAZING, and who knows what)). So I reccomend primeing your body with your best brand of primer that ya use, followed by your base color coat so the final color has something to bite onto and so it dosen't bleed through, and then attack it with the Lacquers color of your choice!

Hope this helps...

DOT-3 brake fluid will take it off in a flash! The Testors Lacquers are almost like the enamals in terms of softness (not in quality, as the lacquers are much better if you have a LIGHT TOTCH and a good base coat), so if it takes off the enamals, it should take of the lacquers.

As you probably know, Brake fluid is VERY DANGERIOUS to to work with; so take extreme caution and were eye and hand protection, and use it outside.

One more thing for the lacquers, If you apply it over a bare unprimed body, you might get problems (Like BUBBLES, CRAZING, and who knows what)). So I reccomend primeing your body with your best brand of primer that ya use, followed by your base color coat so the final color has something to bite onto and so it dosen't bleed through, and then attack it with the Lacquers color of your choice!

Hope this helps...

Does the brake fluid not hurt the plastic? I need to strip a body that I just painted and the head went screwy and messed up the paint.

If you use DOT-3 it won't harm the plastic, but DOT-5 might melt it from what I heard. Also, what paint did you use? If you used the hobby paints (Tamiya, Testors Enamals/Lacquers, Plastikote and Valspar odds 'n ends), it should get it off in about 2-5 hours depending on the how much you put applied on. If it's automotive/hardware paints (dupicolor, wal-mart and other hardware paints), expect it to come off in about 5 days to 3 weeks, again depending on the coats of paints you applied and the time you did them. If their clear coated, it may take a little longer.