Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 scale projects on my bench

Modelcarjedi

• 2 weeks later...

I say MOTOR yes because I never bought EngineCraft Parts to fix my Fords(MOTORCRAFT) :lol: it's a 1/16 427 Ford Cammer,this 1 will be injected I will have a full body 35-35 Coupe that will have a 427 cross bolt and a 35-36 Roadster that will have a Blown 427Cammer,..I like my Fords to have Ford motors and my Chevies the same,..Cammers are in the FE series of ford motors late 50s thru mid 70s,...and I have a nice aluminum crossbolt in my1:1 shortbed 1/2 Ford PU :wink:

Thanks,

Barry Beachum

• 2 weeks later...
Guest zebm1

Ahhh no Barry Ford SOHCs are not FE blocks....not interchangable. Head bolt patterns are not compatible. And besides a FE block has tha cam down below tha intake manifold....there is no provision for a bumpstick in tha center of a Cammer engine. :roll:

Why not put a Ford engine ina chubby chevy and call it a Fordolet? :wink:

zeb

Guest zebm1

Actually Barry we had a rather "in depth" discussion about Ford FE engines awhile back....here is some of tha discussion...yu'll notice that tha 429 SOHC isn't listed in tha FE series....

Posted: Wed 31 Jan, 2007 10:05 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

zebm1 wrote:

Don't use tha 428, it wasn't a Ford-Edsel block, completely different engine.

an what's a 410? Is that a truck block? Or an aftermarket casting?

I'm using tha 352 in a '60 Ford, mid-60s short-track Late Model as a 427, not a side-oiler.

But, in reality, even tha 427 conventional Ford block is not a true FE.

Zeb

Actuall the 428 is an FE. You may be confusing it with the 429

which is from the "385" series. The 428 Cobra Jet was a 428

P/I engine with 427 low-riser heads and a different cam also

a fair number of the "street" version "427 Cobras came with

Shelby modified 428 P/I engines as the CJ wasn't developed

yet in 1965-66. And yes not all 427's were side oilers but

they had the largest bore of all FE engines hence the heads

wouldn't work on the other blocks without notching the cylinders

(not recommended also when the 427 production was kaput, factory replacement blocks were punched out 391 heavy truck blocks as

they had thicker cylinder walls and the 390, 391, 406 and 427 all share the same stroke the only thing is the 390 and 406 had a cast crank, also of note some late 406's also had the crossbolt mains as all 427's do.

The 410 was available only in the Mercury line for 66 and 67.

Please don't take offense about my spouting off about the FE

but I have worked on FE's for nearly 30yrs hence my fanatical

ranting about them. I have also included a link to help

everyone understand the "poor old boat anchor" which is also

my favorite Ford engine family of all time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_FE_engine

HTH

Cheers,

Tim Ridout

TRIAD model club Muskegon,MI (founding member)

Check out Tim's weblink....tha cammer started with an FE block, but they plugged (recast) w/o all of tha cam bearing holes except for tha 1st one. Tha '65 engine was going to be an all new block IIRC.

hope this helps... :wink:

zeb

DSC02466.jpg

DSC02579.jpg

DSC02642.jpg

I probably don't have to tell a thing you can tell us all about it,..

And I'll be watching @ Fordfe site for a Posting,..since I've been there about 8yrs now they know me and my work ,BAD427SANG,...ROYCE PATTERSON you might know him Speed Vision had him on their channel

as a leading Aurtority on Cougars and 427 and FE in general and if your smart enough you would look @ the timing chain cover on the Front of the 1/16 motor and then go back to your encyclopedia,... :wink:

Guest zebm1

Barry, what I knew as a Ford "Cammer" waz tha Ford SOHC (Single OverHead Cam) engine. Tha Ford engine with two cams, each cam waz over tha valves and tha valves were driven by a chain drive. Tha pics yu are showing is tha "conventional" single cam 427 FE engine. And no, didn't get my info out of tha book yu referenced, got tha info from winkipedia ---tha online encyclopedia, which waz recomended by Tim Ridout.

180px-Hotrodsohc427.jpg

250px-Ford_427_SOHC_Thunderbird.jpg

zeb :wink:

427 CAMMER or other Cool parts go to Alterstates.com and see Chuck, Super nice guy to deal with...He is getting out of the Business ,says has been in it too long,... another good 1 callin it quits

...And They make for EXCELLENT CONVERSATION PIECES as you can see :wink: ,

Barry Beachum

Guest zebm1

No Barry....tha 429 is a completely different block and heads, commonly known as tha 385 MEL series of engines.....

800px-Boss_429.jpg

while tha 427 SOHC is based on a ultra Hi-perf side-oiler FE series engine...

800px-Ford_427_SOHC_Thunderbird.jpg

So that it would be easier for yu to compare Barry, I enlarged tha evidence, look at tha valve covers...1st thing yu will notice is tha locations of tha spark plugs, 2nd thing yu will notice is tha labels on tha valve covers....and oh yeah Barry, I'm waiting for FE.com's web admin to approve my membership.....I'll be bringing these pics along with me.....cya soon Barry.

Oh and just for comparison...I believe this is what yu are refering to as a "Cammer"in yur 1;1 engine pics:

800px-1966_Ford_Galaxie_XL_converti.jpg

I agree with yu that tha engine in yur coupe is a "Cammer" but tha 1:1 engine pics that yu posted are not tha innards of a "Cammer" with tha valve covers off.....no overhead cams nor a timing chain to tha cams.

zeb :D

I know what I have ,..Looks like you still tryin to figure it out

I have not seen your post on the FE forum yet

Barry Beachum

DSC02471.jpg

428 did not share the same stroke as a 427

428= 3.98 stroke x4.13 bore

427 =3.78 stroke x4.23 bore,....go back and check yourself again

Guest zebm1

It is there barry, under settle this discussion, last time I looked it waz zeb 4, barry 0.... :wink:

I posted Apr 14th at 8:21 am, Title is....Settle this discussionas to what is/waz a "Cammer>"

zeb

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

sorry to bring a old post up from the dead but my neighbor was up to his death was the #1 guy to go to for original parts for ford cammers. the 427 cammers started out as 427 side oiler blocks with aluminum sohc heads. there is a stub shaft where the cam would be in a standard 427 that turns the distrubutor and the oil pump. which is why it uses a 8 ft timing chain. these old cammers were and are very powerful engines. i've had the chance to drive a 484ci stroker cammer in a custom 34 ford coupe plus a 70 mustang with a 427 ci cammer and a top loader 4spd. jeckle and hyde is the best description for these monsters. easy going while cruising with just the sound of the exhaust and timing chain purring along till you hammer it and you jump 6 or 7 cars ahead side ways wondering if your gonna live and can i pay for this. now if i can just ever get behind a boss 429! which is a 385 series ford big block hemi! maybe one day since john kasse has started developing street boss heads for the 429 - 460 engines!

sorry to bring a old post up from the dead but my neighbor was up to his death was the #1 guy to go to for original parts for ford cammers. the 427 cammers started out as 427 side oiler blocks with aluminum sohc heads. there is a stub shaft where the cam would be in a standard 427 that turns the distrubutor and the oil pump. which is why it uses a 8 ft timing chain. these old cammers were and are very powerful engines. i've had the chance to drive a 484ci stroker cammer in a custom 34 ford coupe plus a 70 mustang with a 427 ci cammer and a top loader 4spd. jeckle and hyde is the best description for these monsters. easy going while cruising with just the sound of the exhaust and timing chain purring along till you hammer it and you jump 6 or 7 cars ahead side ways wondering if your gonna live and can i pay for this. now if i can just ever get behind a boss 429! which is a 385 series ford big block hemi! maybe one day since john kasse has started developing street boss heads for the 429 - 460 engines!

A 460 Boss? Where is the end of the queue?

• 1 year later...