Model Cars Magazine Forum

Couple of questions from a newbie.

Hello, I am new to the forum and relatively new to the hobby. I used to build models for fun but nothing like what is found here...simply amazing. I stumbled accross some of my old models and thought it would be fun to start again. And maybe one day get close to the level of the folks on this forum! I even have some new in the box models that I never built. (a '97 Camaro SS, a '99 Camaro SS, an 86' Grand National, an '87 Monte Carlo SS Aero Coupe, a Baracuda (not sure of the year))I also went out and bought an '06 Magnum.

my questions are:

1 - Are there any mixes I can do to get transparent paint for tail lights and such. I read about future and food coloring...anything else?

2 - Is it recomended to prime ALL parts before painting or just the exterior? I am using mostly Testors acrylics (brush on) for the non body parts. I use acrylics since I dont have a dedicated workbench\work area to build on (mostly on the kitchen table...) and the cleanup is a bit easier with acrylics (plus no\little fumes)

3 - When using the acrylics, should I be thinning it before use? if so what should I thin with? Water or acrylic thinner?

Tamiya and Testors both have transparent red and amber acrylic paint meant for taillights and turn signals. Do a google search for either and you'll find them available everywhere (or try the good old hobby shop if you have one near you).

Priming small parts is a matter of personal preference. Some guys will swear that you have to do it; personally I don't bother. I just either brush or spray smaller parts without priming first. I don't see any need to make extra work for myself.

Acrylics should be good to go straight from the bottle. If they need to be thinned a drop or two of water works just fine. There are acrylic-specific thinners you can buy... but I use the free stuff that comes out of my kitchen faucet! :)

Joe, Welcome aboard, and I hope you will stick around to enjoy the sights but also to share you work in progress. Harry answered your basic questions, but I would add that you will save yourself time and heartache by simply starting out with either the Tamiya rattle cans or (if you are comfortable with the airbrush) then I would suggest Vallejo Model Air acrylics are perfect.

Happy styrene journeys!

Joe, Welcome to the MCM Forum, hope you enjoy. I agree with Dr. Cranky, Tamiya spray paints are some of the best, I use their lacquer sprays, they are very forgiving & go on nice & smooth, as far as a workplace, the kitchen table works good, right now I'm using a cutting board on my bed, spray outside & brush in my room. Here in Tucson to warm the paint cans, I just set them on a concrete wall in the sun for about 2-3 minutes, warms them up real good! Enjoy the model building hobby!

the front indicator is model masters "turn signal amber" painted over bare metal foil (BMF, its a model specific aluminum foil with an adhesive backing that is used to simulate chrome trim)

utf-8BSU1HMDAxODAtMjAxMTAyMjAtMjA0Mi5qcGc.jpg

the rear indicator is tamiya's "stop light red" painted over BMF

utf-8BSU1HMDAxODMtMjAxMTAyMjAtMjA0NC5qcGc.jpg

Dyimirage, that looks great. I will have to try that. The Michaels by me doest have much of a model cars section. And very little in terms of paint. I will have do some on line shopping. Any suggestions on a good online retailer?

Edited by JoeDeal

I usually use tamiya spray paints for exteriors and tamiya acrylics and testors enamel paints for interiors and engines (both brush painted). I personally don't thin any paint that I brush (both acrylic and enamel), but some people on here say you should. As for online shopping for models, I usually (and only) use Jim Ohio (http://www.jimnohio.com). He has nice selection of models at reasonable prices. He also sells paints and so on. Where I'm from (Canada), Michaels has a weekly 40% off coupon that you can print over the internet that I use to get models from there. Hope this helps.

thanks Joe :)

my main shopping places are the local hobby lobby (make sure to check for coupons) and a place called riders, a 40 minute drive from my house

thats where i get almost everything

i buy kits online (ebay mainly) but all the other stuff i get at those locals

so im not sure on the online aspect of it