Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Penthouse" Freightliner cabover

For those of you who have read my post on this truck on the model trucks page, here are some reference pix if you would like to try one yourself. I am making my cab using the cabs from a Freightliner SD and a freightliner DD(mainly for the sleeper). I also included shots of the sideways mounted Cummins engine, which actually sits below the truck body or drom box. The turbo is mounted to the frame rail on the driver's side. I will say that this is one of those trucks that will be difficult to research, but I will pass along any pix I can.

freightliner.jpg

48" BBC with flat rear wall. In this pic you can clearly see the turbocharger and air cleaner on the frame rail. The small muffler is also clearly visible.

wm7977o.jpg

willamette_valley_fl06_sml.jpg

willamette_valley_fl05_sml.jpg

this is the engine underneath the truck body. Viewed from driver's side. Note the tiny muffler. Air cleaner is on frame rail behind engine. This is the naturally aspirated version of the engine.

willamette_valley_fl03_sml.jpg

willamette_valley_fl02_sml.jpg

lc_crouse_frtlnr.jpg

As i get more info, I will share it. peterbilt experimented with one of these, but I don't think it ever made production.

• 3 weeks later...

The Cummins engine found in most AMT kits is the starting point for this engine. The oil pan is rounded and follows the arc of the crankshaft. The turbocharger sits on the driver's side frame rail on this truck. The air cleaner is mounted just behind the turbo. The air compressor and fuel pump which is molded together, must be separated. They are then moved to the front of the engine. The engine front cover piece must be trimmed down a little also.

A quick note or two about the cab. The floor is flat with no doghouse. Also, the cab's left rear corner must be notched to accomidate the exaust stack. I recommend using the rear wall from the Freightliner SD kit for the sleeper's front wall as it has the windows, which appear to be the right size and spacing for this project.

Good luck to those of you who try it. I would love to see how many modelers have a go at this one.

HHMMM, no doghouse...cummins on its side,,,,learn something new every day,,,,,does the shift tower and shifter itself still stay with the chassis when the cab is raised ? I'm a sucker for those looooong wheelbase tractors. Seen them alot in Montana and in the northwest.....

I'm still trying to find out certain things. I wonder if this cab tilted, it pobably did, but I'm not sure. With the engine under the drom, I wonder if it was needed. I would guess the shfter stood still like other cabovers, but I don't know.