Model Cars Magazine Forum

Remove dried glue from clear plastic

I'm afraid, that there's no other way than just polish it off. That needs polishing kit, or maybe wax which poishes, may help too. Maybe it's just easier to buy new one, or make new one from acetate... :(

I'm afraid, that there's no other way than just polish it off. That needs polishing kit, or maybe wax which poishes, may help too. Maybe it's just easier to buy new one, or make new one from acetate... :(

Thanks for the advice. I might just go ahead and buy a new kit. A friend of mine gave me the kit, a revell '49 merc. It was in pretty rough shape when I got it, but I figured some of the part might be salvageable at the very least.

Is it solvent based cement, or CA?

If it is solvent based, yes, as mentioned sanding and polishing is the way to go.

But if it is CA you can use some debonder to remove the cement, then polish out where the debonder has dulled the plastic.

Either way, it costs almost nothing to fix, and the time it takes to repair is less than the time it takes to go to the store to buy a replacement kit.

Edited by Scale-Master

Has anyone used the evergreen clear plastic sheet? Since the project I currently am planning will likely require resizing the rear window a little bit anyway. I just would like some one Else's opinion who is more knowledgeable about using it. Thanks again for the advice offered.

Has anyone used the evergreen clear plastic sheet? Since the project I currently am planning will likely require resizing the rear window a little bit anyway. I just would like some one Else's opinion who is more knowledgeable about using it. Thanks again for the advice offered.

I've used it for flat and slightly curved windows like side door glass and some back glass worked fine for me. I used two part epoxy to glue in place.

just make sure you inspect the sheet for scratches before you buy it.

I've used it for flat and slightly curved windows like side door glass and some back glass worked fine for me. I used two part epoxy to glue in place.

just make sure you inspect the sheet for scratches before you buy it.

Thank you. What kind of glue is that?