Model Cars Magazine Forum

OK guys, I figured if anyone had an answer, it would be here. Is there anything out there that will soften the glue on a glue bomb without hurting the plastic. I found a trailer suspension in a parts box that I acquired elsewhere and it was put together with a more than necessary amount of what looks like Testors goop glue. And then to add to that it was never painted. If there are some good tips out there......let me know please. I would greatly appreciate it.

some folks say freeze it. Also try soaking it in oven cleaner a few days or even a week that will brake down the glue most of the time. I've had few old kits like that I have forgot about say month and start washing off and fall apart.

Edited by clayton

Thanks Clayton, and Rick I would if the stupid thing was straight. The term "snake" comes to mind on this one. I have screwed up several kits in my early years by lack of experience, but I don't think I ever got something this small out of whack this much. I think if I mounted it as is..........one of the tire sets would be about 1/4 inch of the surface.

Almost forgot to ask Clayton.....the spray on type? Is that all there is? Have to admit...the wife gets that stuff. Never used it.

Edited by txdieseldog

Thanks Clayton, and Rick I would if the stupid thing was straight. The term "snake" comes to mind on this one. I have screwed up several kits in my early years by lack of experience, but I don't think I ever got something this small out of whack this much. I think if I mounted it as is..........one of the tire sets would be about 1/4 inch of the surface.

Almost forgot to ask Clayton.....the spray on type? Is that all there is? Have to admit...the wife gets that stuff. Never used it.

that's it,don't get the cheap stuff or fume-less they don't work too good Use out side,it will burn the eyes and nose.. get a container with lid,Most store have these and let the parts set a few days.

You could try just straight caustic soda, mix it with water to a strong brew, and let it cool before you put your parts in, caustic is the key in the oven cleaner, and is cheaper to buy than oven cleaner

Caustic strips chrome real good, as well as paint etc,

Make sure you don't put your hands in it or breath the fumes,

I have a old 1/16th areodyne kit to strip before I cut it up, so will post you some before and after shots