Model Cars Magazine Forum

40 Ford Stock....or is it?

Dave Wood

started on my pre WW2 40 ford club contest Project, I picked up this 40 for $5.00 at the last meeting, contest is for pre world war 2 cars so I thought I'd do a early Moonshine runner with a Hot Flat Head, not doing to good with info from the net on what speed equipment would have been available, I do have a resin duel carb intake that I'm sure would have been used ( I hope, ) other wise what did they do pre WW2 ? also if anyone has an extra set of Headlights I could use a set ;)

ModelCars1399-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Taken apart and ready for the Easy Off soak

ModelCars1403-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Typical 60s/70s Paint going to need another soak

ModelCars1406-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I'm quite sure pre-war flathead speed stuff was limited to that dual carb intake, at least what you could see. And maybe some type of homemade dual pipes. Put a "load dump" pipe under the rear bumper and use some truck type tires with a period correct look. Moon runners are neat cars, good luck!

Jon is right. The '38 and onward engines had 24 head studs, as opposed to 21 on earlier engines. By 1940, there just weren't a huge number of available aftermarket parts for the newer engines. As he says, you'd be safe with a 2-carb manifold and some cobbled up headers and dual pipes. That's about all that would show. Some of the real hot-shoes racing on the lakes would have converted magnetos, but not likely on a shine-runner.

It wasn't until after the war that the availability of trick flathead parts exploded onto the market.

Very cool project. Glad you're trying to get the period stuff right.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy