Model Cars Magazine Forum

Feathering paint?

I've built a lamborghini countach and I decided to paint it testors flaming orange laq. When I got half way through I decided I didn't like the look of the fender flares at all and thought it looked better after I took them off. Now I have a fully painted model that buts right up to the unpainted spots where the flares were. My fear is you guys are going to tell me to strip the whole thing and atart over. What I'm hoping for is someway to feather the paint into the unpainted spots. Can I feather white primer and then color coats or is it hopeless and I should strip the whole thing?

I have found you can wet sand m.m. lacquer paint with 1000 grit and finer sandpaper then prime and wetsand the colorcoats till no sign of feathering shows. Then finish as needed for your final paint. This is how i fix my boo boos.

I have found you can wet sand m.m. lacquer paint with 1000 grit and finer sandpaper then prime and wetsand the colorcoats till no sign of feathering shows. Then finish as needed for your final paint. This is how i fix my boo boos.

Yup, he's right. And the MM lacquer is the absolute devil to strip anyway...very tough...which is WHY it will feather-edge out well.

When you re-prime the feather-edge, you MAY get a little lifting. Just let it dry thoroughly if you do, sand it lightly again...re-prime, lightly...keep doing it til it's gone. It WILL work.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy