Model Cars Magazine Forum

Honest opinion

I was putzing around today. And instead of finishing my duster like I should. I got an idea from another model I had. I starting looking at the viper kit lake pipes and later while playing with solder it hit me. So I dug out an old stalled project and fashioned a single stack for my 40 ford model rat rod.IMG529.jpg

IMG531-1.jpg

now it's based on something I did to my old dodge powerwagon in high school. Ya in rural MN we don't have much for taste and we lean towards tacky :D The solder is a little under 2" in 1/24 & the tubing is around 3" I know it's a bit tall but I want your honest opinion if it is a bit small and if it looks ok? It's one of the first scratch builts so I know it's nothing great but It is at least an attempt. Again it's something you see around here and that is what I'm going for. It's just leaning up now but if it looks ok I'll continue by making brackets and running the rest of the exhaust. I thank you for your opinions

Edited by mnwildpunk

I see what you are saying honestly. I was re-creating what I did on my old P.W. Which was totally jerry rigged. I had a a set of 2.5" pipes that led up to the bed and being a teenager I thought that was not big enough so I stepped it up to 3.5" & then shrunk it back down after I got hassled by the police I have yet to make shields like I had on my P.W. But I 100% see what your saying but I'm going for the high schoolers rat rod and I will fashion some shields

Hey man like the idea i know what you mean you see alot of that up here in mn i think over all hight should come down some.and top pipe little shorter.The size is good unless you throw a oil burnner in it and go with some BIG stacks lol but that could be just me good building

keep it up

IMG532.jpg this is still mock up but does it look better? Is it to big now? Since it is a shield I'm trying to figure a design because you see a lot of them with slits all over or the truck name like KENWORTH. any ideas? I am going to change the bend to a 45° & remove about 4 mm from tip to transition pipe

straight with clapper lol "flippy things" would be nice too. i have wanted to do a mud truck with straight pipes but open and the make small coffee cans with a wood stick on the side. then they would sit on top of the tall pipe to work as a raincap. seen many old timers use this at the local truck stop when i was younger.

dave i like it i know what you meen about the ones with slits with them the shield looks less bulkie. not sure how i would do it maybe a small cutting tool on a rotor tool of some kind.if you get it let me know how please. and changing up that bend may look good too. waitin to see what you got.