Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fruehauf tanker and Love Truck Stop

Hi all,

Nice to find this forum. I was researching a problem and stumbled across this site.

My question is this: Did the AMT fuel tanker that has been repopped by Round2 Models ever

appear in the colors and markings of the Love Truck Stop? You know the one...solid chrome

yellow with red hearts on it.

Any help you can offer (including maybe a photo) would be welcome. BTW, I'm using the old

AMOCO version from AMT that isn't plated.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Richard Marmo

Hey Anthony,

Nice to hear from another Italian, even though I'm only half of one! I thought I made myself clear but apparently did not...and that's a terrible thing to happen to a freelance writer! I'm building the Fruehauf tanker kit for a magazine article and I'm going to put it in the Love markings. What I need to know is if Love ever used the Fruehauf tanker at some point in time. Love can't tell me because they don't keep records of past rigs. As far as decals go, I can make my own. That's not a problem.

Richard

Guest Johnny

Richard, I started driving in the early/mid 70's and I have never seen a tanker of any kind with their markings.

The times I was at any of their stops and saw a fuel drop being made, the trucks were all from what ever local distributor that had the contract for servicing the truck stop.

So I don't even know if they ever had their own trucks.

Howard, if I remember correctly, most of the Love's trailers I've seen at the truckstops whenever I would stop there (not really my most favorite chain) were Beall trailers, and Revell AG offered that brand of tank in a kit. As for tractors, they (at the time I came off the road in Oct 2012) were Freightliner Cascadias if I remember correctly.

As for AMT offering the name, since that kit is from the 70's, the only markings will probably be only for the ones AMT has already offered the trailer in, the Amoco, Sunoco, Texaco, and Gulf, if I remember them all correctly. Why spend money on new licenses when they probably still have those.

Johnny, much has changed since the 70's!! :lol: Yes, most of the truck stops still have local distributors bringing in their fuel, but for some reason Pilot/Flying J and Loves do run their own trucks.

loves_gemini_frtlnr_cascadia_tanker_i70_

And I just noticed in that pic my memory is pretty darn good, it's a Beall tanker!!

Here's ones just for fun of a Flying J and Pilot tanker too, and I noticed the J tank is a Beall too.

3599055286_af20f172f4_z_zps39b4d886.jpg

pilot_pb_378_tanker_i10_fl_02-09_zps7b29

EDIT: By the way, all of the trailers I remember seeing ran supersingles in all tire positions, including on the tractor.

Edited by highway

Nice to hear from all of you. Finally got in touch with Love and they confirmed that they have never run Fruehauf tankers. As a result, the magazine article will simply describe how to put a representative Love scheme on a Fruehauf tanker instead of creating an accurate replica. Is it accurate? No, since Love uses the Beall tanker. But the object in this case is how to create and apply custom markings. The techniques will apply to any project.

Guest Johnny

Wow! I had never seen one for Loves! But had seen the Flying J and Pilot ones in the last few years between here and Chicago. But then I have been out of driving since 97.

Loves did just open a truck stop on the south side of town. But haven't been on that side of the interstate in the last two years! :lol:

Wow! I had never seen one for Loves! But had seen the Flying J and Pilot ones in the last few years between here and Chicago. But then I have been out of driving since 97.

Loves did just open a truck stop on the south side of town. But haven't been on that side of the interstate in the last two years! :lol:

Geez, I didn't start driving until 98!!

Don't worry, you aren't missing much by not being around where they opened that new Love's, until my wrist took me off the road in Oct and now with a broken back that will probably keep me out of the truck for quite a while, Love's were my last choice to stop. Even though most of the chains don't have much for good food anymore, Love's is not much better than Pilot with the only choice for dinner being fast food. I've only found a couple with a Denny's, and they are old Flying J's that Love's bought after the Pilot/Flying J merger. I will say one thing that was nice getting close to the holidays about Love's, when the were moving in gift items in September, they had some very nice but pricey diecasts of their tankers. I was planning on getting one or two with frequent fueler points, but my wrist injury put the brakes on that! :(

Geez, I didn't start driving until 98!!

Don't worry, you aren't missing much by not being around where they opened that new Love's, until my wrist took me off the road in Oct and now with a broken back that will probably keep me out of the truck for quite a while, Love's were my last choice to stop. Even though most of the chains don't have much for good food anymore, Love's is not much better than Pilot with the only choice for dinner being fast food. I've only found a couple with a Denny's, and they are old Flying J's that Love's bought after the Pilot/Flying J merger. I will say one thing that was nice getting close to the holidays about Love's, when the were moving in gift items in September, they had some very nice but pricey diecasts of their tankers. I was planning on getting one or two with frequent fueler points, but my wrist injury put the brakes on that! :(

No more iron skillet's!! Man,

No more iron skillet's!! Man,

I think you might be meaning the Country Market buffets that used to be in Flying J's Clayton, unless Petro has gotten rid of the Skillet since I came off the road in Oct!

I think you might be meaning the Country Market buffets that used to be in Flying J's Clayton, unless Petro has gotten rid of the Skillet since I came off the road in Oct!

Nothing to fear Matt, Petro soldiers on unchanged.

Edited by niteowl7710

Howard, if I remember correctly, most of the Love's trailers I've seen at the truckstops whenever I would stop there (not really my most favorite chain) were Beall trailers, and Revell AG offered that brand of tank in a kit. As for tractors, they (at the time I came off the road in Oct 2012) were Freightliner Cascadias if I remember correctly.

As for AMT offering the name, since that kit is from the 70's, the only markings will probably be only for the ones AMT has already offered the trailer in, the Amoco, Sunoco, Texaco, and Gulf, if I remember them all correctly. Why spend money on new licenses when they probably still have those.

Johnny, much has changed since the 70's!! :lol: Yes, most of the truck stops still have local distributors bringing in their fuel, but for some reason Pilot/Flying J and Loves do run their own trucks.

loves_gemini_frtlnr_cascadia_tanker_i70_

And I just noticed in that pic my memory is pretty darn good, it's a Beall tanker!!

Here's ones just for fun of a Flying J and Pilot tanker too, and I noticed the J tank is a Beall too.

3599055286_af20f172f4_z_zps39b4d886.jpg

pilot_pb_378_tanker_i10_fl_02-09_zps7b29

EDIT: By the way, all of the trailers I remember seeing ran supersingles in all tire positions, including on the tractor.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That Pilot driver must have a dedicated unit to be able to put the mud flaps of his choosing on the trailer. "Me likes!"

The thing about Love's is that while the company itself started in 1964, it didn't take the name of the founder (Tom Love) until the early 1970's and back then the company was just a series of gas station/convenience stores located around Oklahoma City. The first truck stop (in Amarillo, TX) didn't open until 1981, and the company didn't really expand out of the Mid-South until the 2000's when it exploded across the country filling the vacuum created when Pilot bought out the truck stop sites that Speedway operated and bought out the Williams Travel Center chain. Which as an aside drove us all crazy because Pilot immediately ripped out all of the sit down restaurants at those locations to install Subways. The same thing that happened to Flying J when they were forced to merge with Pilot to avoid bankruptcy a few years ago. Although at least they sub-contracted Denny's into those locations (which doubled the number of Denny's franchises overnight). Come to think of it the only truck stop chain that has survived their brush with Pilot is Bossellman's which just co-brands their fuel and mercifully kept their stores, Grandma Max's sit down restaurants and free Wi-Fi. Sapp Brothers continues to hang on with their small chain of truck stops too, but so many independents are gone, or have been bought up by the big guys -- The Lee-Hi is now owned by T/A, and White's in Raphine, VA is now a Petro - no more breakfast "wif taters" and they took down the display cases that held the massive gun collection and motorcycle racing memorabilia.

Back to the original point however, when the AMT Trailer was "new" in 1:1, I'm willing to be Love's was getting their gasoline delivered by whatever the local gasoline tanker contractors in the area were back then. The fleet of Neon Yellow trucks and trailers didn't come online until they had enough locations to justify having their own delivery fleet.