Model Cars Magazine Forum

My first NASCAR as an experienced modeler

wgflatliner

Hey guys,

My buddy has had the urge to want to have a NASCAR build with some local clubs. He has tempted me to build some, and it takes me back to my childhood.

My very first model, ever, was a skill 3 monogram #24 Lumina driven by Jeff Gordon. I was so terrible at it, and the paint was so bad and thick, that i'm sure it's still drying to this day, and that was over 20 years ago! One day, i will get revenge on that kit and build it up properly.

Now here's the skinny on things: I picked up off ebay, a black and gold themed "premier" Jeff Gordon Monte Carlo. I liked how it was a different color scheme vs his normal cars. One thing i do remember on the first model was having problems with colors bleeding through the decals, and the paint layer was evident between the two colors under the decal. I'm sure that since then, people have knowledge and know how to execute a proper paint job and other ways to prevent colors from bleeding through on the decals on top (if they were white). OR the companies making the kits have better technology compared to what i had 20 years ago.

Now some questions: what's the best way to get the paint separation lines separated at the decals? also, what's the closest gold paint i can get to make the paint match as close as possible?

google image "jeff gordon premier monte carlo" to see the color i'm trying to match.

Thanks!