Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jeep J10

Bigjeepzz

I decided to start on a new build before I hit the NNL in Nov. This doesn;t give me allot of time but I should be able to pull it off.

Most of the front end is ready for paint and assembly. The front axle is a resin Dana 60 center with styrene tubes and resin knuckles. I am planning on have a flat gray paint job with black trim. I am going to scratch build a cnavas top for the back as well. The front suspension is going to be a 3 link with coil-over shocks. The rear is going to be a 4 link 1/4 eliptical. I have a long way to go and I hope to have more pics soon.

Jake

MVC-071S.jpg

MVC-070S.jpg

Thanks Mad Slammer

The rear is starting to take shape. This is a mock up of the rear. It still missing the shocks and arms but all the mounting points are there. I will doing some clean up before painting I am going to be spraying the frame and axles tonight. Next up it the body.

Enjoy

MVC-074S.jpg

MVC-073S.jpg

Well like most builds I get into I get impatient. It useuaslly produces good work but I tend to skip some minor details that would make the model better. Anyway the rear is assembled and painted. The front will hopefully get done tomorrow. I started on the canvas top and that is going to end up being one of the most difficult things I have ever built. Enjoy the pics guys, and stay tuned.

Jake

MVC-076S.jpg

MVC-075S.jpg

MVC-077S.jpg

I know what you mean about the kit, I was pleasantly surprised. When I opened the box at first I was disappointed to find it looked like a snap kit, but then found that while simple the detail and fit are actually good. I think its funny though, I've been looking for this kit for a couple years and I finally found one in August. I've also never seen one built and two other people are building one as well. :unsure:

Here's one I did awhile back, basically box stock except for a little engine wiring. front bumper and removing the louvers from the rear window. Good kit, just be careful to take time with your body work around the rear of the cab.

I left these as links so folks on dialup won't have everything loading at once! ;)

http://home.earthlink.net/~hill7jack6/site.../79jeepj10a.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~hill7jack6/site.../79jeepj10c.jpg

Cool build, I love anything off road. I am currently doing a CJ to Tj conversion and it is also a pain to do. One of my biggest concerns is tires.

Did you use the tires from the Toyota Aoshima kit? I know that the kit has TSL Swampers in it and that was about all I can think of to use. What size are they in comparison to scale of your build? Are they about 33's? Keep it coming.

• 2 weeks later...
Its been a while but I am still working on this one. The front suspension is glued in and I am finishing up the details in the bed. This canvas top was a lot of problems but I am happy with the results.

MVC-079S.jpg

MVC-081S.jpg

Hey, it's looking good. . . ;)

I'm almost done with mine.

I made a "canvas" top also.

What did you use for materials?

I used Aluminum Foil covered with Masking tape. . .That's what I use for the ragtops also. . .

I'll try to post some pics tonight.

:lol:

Thanks man, I used kleenex soaked with elmers glue. It worked out ok. I still have to spray the thing a final time to cover up the last bit of white.

Well the body is painted and most of the detailing is done on the outside. I was torn on the color so I grabbed a color I had and went with it. It is growing on me the more I look at it. The flat black trim really makes the difference. Anyway I figure I should get it done by the end of the week.

Thanks for the comments so far.

Jake

MVC-082S.jpg

MVC-083S.jpg

MVC-084S.jpg