Model Cars Magazine Forum

Alsa corps crystalFX questions

the CrystalFX from Alsa is great stuff. I haven't used it in a few years, but I can tell you that you will have to put whatever you spray it on in a box or some sort of container that will keep air movement off away from it. Believe it or not, air movement will affect the overall look while it is drying...unless that is the desired effect.

the CrystalFX from Alsa is great stuff. I haven't used it in a few years, but I can tell you that you will have to put whatever you spray it on in a box or some sort of container that will keep air movement off away from it. Believe it or not, air movement will affect the overall look while it is drying...unless that is the desired effect.

I have actually been experimenting with making my own the main ingredients are urea, alcohol and water..... its just a matter of getting the right mix...

Urea, AKA Urine on a model,what does that do? Is that why clear turns yellow?

Haha! No it comes in a powder form. I've been doing some research and have been experimenting with using only Distilled water, urea, ammonia, and neocryl.

the water provides the carrier system or base, however you like to say it.

The urea creates the crystalline effect ( still figuring out why it does)

and the ammonia causes the evaporation, which sets of the urea, thus creating the crystalline structures on your item.

Neocryl is used like a wetting agent....to prevent the mix from simply beading up like water does. Ive attempted using dish soap, as it contains neocryl where its used partly as a thickening agent.

Now its simply a matter of getting the ratios down.