Model Cars Magazine Forum

Decal question

Hi has anyone used the odd decals that come in the AMT Kenworth Aerodyne kit number 5018 . Its the blue truck with zig zag striping and the long chassis . The instrutions on the back say to use a solvent adhesive ?! . Or do the decals just rub on to the body? Please can anyone help as I dont want to ruin some realy good striping.

Thanks in advance

Dave

post-10436-0-11152100-1391736120_thumb.j

Edited by Doobie

I had the very same kit back in the early 80's when it came out,i could not get the decals to work at all.They were beautiful looking stripes and I could not for the life of me get them to work,Maybe some others here have had better luck.I know this is no help,but it brought back a memory for me. Harvey

Hi Dave as far as I know there just water slide decals ,maybe there saying you can use decal solvent on them.

Thanks Doug I had thought that im asking for a friend he hasn't seen that sort of decal and haden't ether he said that on the back it said use decalweld is that the same stuff as micro sol ?

I had the very same kit back in the early 80's when it came out,i could not get the decals to work at all.They were beautiful looking stripes and I could not for the life of me get them to work,Maybe some others here have had better luck.I know this is no help,but it brought back a memory for me. Harvey

Harvey Can you remember what you did try ?

Does it have the little AMT logo and address on the sheet or a random license plate you can try with your setting solution ? When in doubt that is what I do, find the something on the sheet for a "Guinea Pig" test.

Sean it should have AMT somewhere I will tell my mate to give that a go Thanks

Edited by Doobie

Way back when,when they first issued the 1/25th Aerodyne KW,The BJ and the Bear,and the BJ and the Bear 1/32 kits they tried(for a while) rub on decals,they didnt work for ######..... I had one of each of the kits and ended up trying to use them and had no luck. I bought one of the recent reissues of the Aerodyne,that I am currently working on, and was s glad to see they had waterslide decals instead of those awful rub ons....I always use Microsol decal setting solution on all my waterslide decals,I have always had good luck with it,but I use either clearcoat gloss on my trucks and cars or dull cote on my HO trains,after weathering.....I usually dont dirty up my truck and car models,I like them showroom new.

Edited by dad vader

If the decals are on a sheet of hard plastic they are the press on type,when I had mine I was not able to use them,they were to hard to use.They worked on the smooth parts of the cab,but would not let go from the sheet on the curves and rivets?.I think back and think I maybe could have used a heat gun to warm up the sheet,it would have made it a little softer to press down tight,you will have to cut out each piece separately to make it easier to position on the cab.Try a little piece first and see if the heat will help,that is the only thing I can think of,maybe use the heat when trying to press it down too.Let us know if this helps. Harvey

you would heat up the plastic sheet the decals are on,it is just to make it a little more bendable to wrap around the cab?,not a lot of heat,just enough to warm up the plastic,it should not hurt the plastic in that much heat.Chances are the decals have lost their stickiness from time too,these kits are from 1983?.