Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/32 dicast trucks

So my young son is obsessed with my life size tractor trailer

Clearly playing with a plastic one isn't going to work

So I found some greatly detailed ones in 1/32 scale with die-cast body's and stronger molded plastic trailers

I'd like to get one and paint it like my rig

So questions I have are these ( I've built plenty of plastics)

Painting metal do I strip old paint ? If do how ?

I figure on trailer I can just spray it

When painting metal is rattle cans ok ? He's 3 so he'll destroy it

Any and all advice on this would so be great

post-7921-0-88640800-1413983149_thumb.jp

Edited by dabelltoller

Get onto Amazon or Ebay and look for Newray trucks.....Or hit a truck stop like Love's or TA....They have a lot of 1/32 scale rigs that'll do the trick....There a few 379's set up just like your 1:1.....There are 389's, too, but most have the big bunks.....The truck stops are the best place, though....You can walk in and walk out with truck and trailer for about $20...

And, if you're only going to give it to him to play with, I don't think you have to worry too much about stripping the paint....Rattle cans will work beautifully for this, as they are made of mainly plastic cabs and metal chassis....Just prime and paint.....But, at $20 a pop, I'd buy him one to play with and another to duplicate yours, so he can have fun while you're working on the other one.....Trust me, It'll be worth it.....He won't care....Then you won't have to rush the REAL project.....Christmas is around the corner.....You've got time...

Edited by kilrathy10

Gary,

I'll first start off with echoing the remarks by my esteemed Friend JT. However you finish it, I think your son will be very happy just simply because it came from Dad.

To answer your inquiry, I've done a couple of die cast models that came factory painted and assembled and highly recommend stripping them down to bare metal as the paint over the already finish will not yield as nice a look, and will chip very easily.

The basic techniques for die cast painting are rather similar as plastic:

I have done a few die cast projects and have found stripping them down to bare metal and priming (recommend using an automotive grade, self-etching primer as a base) Once you're satisfied with the color(s) do a couple of coats of (gloss?) clear and this should help give the finish a bit of protection against chips as 3-year-olds tend to crash their trucks...A LOT! (go ahead, ask me how I know...lol). Be sure to allow a few days before the clear coat to allow the base paint to cure/off-gas.

My choice of paint is: (not sure If I can say brand-names but, one starts with a "K" and ends in "rylon" and the other starts with "Rust" and rhymes with "linoleum").

Being as this is intended as a toy as opposed to a display piece (bravo, btw) be sure to double check for and avoid using any paint/clear coats with lead content in them .

The best way to strip the paint down is a rotary, wire brush (SAFETY GLASSES!) Be sure to remove any/all plastic as the brush will destroy plastic instantly (no matter how steady your hand is).

I offer the above with the disclaimer that I do not consider myself an expert in die cast painting or painting in general ( a couple of cars and 4-5 wall outlet covers).

This merely what I've found as best-practices as I've gone along (your results may vary, batteries not included, member FDIC, void where prohibited.)

The picture you offered in your post is giving me inspiration for a future project using one of the Revell snap Petes. (sharp looking rig).

Keep us posted on your progress and

Keep on truckin' Dad!

I agree with JT and the other posters regarding what you do for your son. Find a plastic toy that looks a little like yours and he will be happy.

As far as the diecast is concerned, i'd strip it with a good stong paint stripper. When diecasts are painted they tend to lay on the paint pretty heavy. Overspraying will only hide that much more of the detail. Strip after you remove all of the plastic parts if there are any. Stripper will just melt them away if you don't. Prime with a good etching primer and then repaint.

this is my peterbilt project that i built for a facebook build off....i didn't use stripper...i just sanded it...the jada trucks have opening hoods and much more detail....but im sure a 3 year old really wouldn't care about that the sleeper is a new ray one from a truck that i acquired from JT....i wish you the best of luck.....post-11851-0-75438700-1414007742_thumb.j post-11851-0-72969800-1414007749_thumb.j

Hey it is the ones at the truck stops and yes it is plastic over metal!! Amazingly the worded it to make you think it was diecast.

He's got a few trucks now, he see my 1/24 I built( I've posted pics on here of a Pete and custom grain hopper) and wants to play "farm"

So I figured as I build this custom truck I'd like to build a collection of tjese truck stop trucks becouse of details , trailer options and lots of different loads

Thanks for info! And yes this would be a gift from Santa

Thsnks guys

Edited by dabelltoller