Model Cars Magazine Forum

Discount Models

Michaels has some model kits at a discount $9.00 each, and not just AMT kits.

some Revell are on sale also. Just a heads up.

cheers.

Ron

Thanks for the heads up. I sometimes get kits at Michaels using their 40% off coupon. Looks like I may be able to pick up a few things I've been wanting to add to my "waiting to be built" list and save the coupons for other stuff. Unfortunately, Michaels doesn't carry a very large selection of kits. At least around here.

--ron

Thanks for the heads up. I sometimes get kits at Michaels using their 40% off coupon. Looks like I may be able to pick up a few things I've been wanting to add to my "waiting to be built" list and save the coupons for other stuff. Unfortunately, Michaels doesn't carry a very large selection of kits. At least around here.

--ron

Michaels carrys the largest selection around here

Michaels carrys the largest selection around here.

Around here their selection is pretty random. And, not all of the local stores carry the same kits. I usually have to check out three different stores to be sure of covering everything. That said, they're still a good source for kits and they sell lots of other stuff that can be used for model building.

--ron

Don't forget to use the coupons on the "Clearance" kits that drops the price down to $5 and change(since the AMT kits are on clearance for $9, down from $12 a week ago)!! Definitely worth the money.

Chris

They usually don't allow us to use the 40% off coupons on already discounted items. Wish they did.

--ron

They usually don't allow us to use the 40% off coupons on already discounted items. Wish they did.

--ron

Ron, I mentioned this over on the SA board too, they will not let you use a coupon on "SALE" items, however "CLEARANCE" items can use a coupon.

I'm a supervisor at Michael's and that is allowable. Their is a difference. The kits aren't on sale, but are on clearance.

Chris

Yesterday I went to Michaels and the kits were pretty much picked over. I managed to get a 66 Nova kit on clearance for 9.00.when I got to the counter, the clerk(a real cutie!) rang it up at 5.73 including tax. She automatically gave me the coupon discount even though I didn't have one.I'm going back to pick the 74 road runner still left.

Yesterday I went to Michaels and the kits were pretty much picked over. I managed to get a 66 Nova kit on clearance for 9.00.when I got to the counter, the clerk(a real cutie!) rang it up at 5.73 including tax. She automatically gave me the coupon discount even though I didn't have one.I'm going back to pick the 74 road runner still left.

Man i wish i had some money!!! :rolleyes::lol:;):(:(:(

Ron, I mentioned this over on the SA board too, they will not let you use a coupon on "SALE" items, however "CLEARANCE" items can use a coupon.

I'm a supervisor at Michael's and that is allowable. Their is a difference. The kits aren't on sale, but are on clearance.

Chris

Thanks, Chris!

Looks like I'm going to have to go back over tomorrow evening then. I've got two 40% off coupons that I have to use this week.

I would have sworn, however, that I've tried (or at least asked about) this before and been denied.

--ron

I would have sworn, however, that I've tried (or at least asked about) this before and been denied.

Ron, I have been to just about every Michael's in Dade and Broward counties and have had that happen to me on occasion too. Just ask them to ask the manager or sometimes-another cashier. By the way, you may already know this but, besides the newspaper 40% coupons, the "Flyer" also has 40% coupons that are good for much longer than the usual weekend.

Jefbo

Ron, I have been to just about every Michael's in Dade and Broward counties and have had that happen to me on occasion too. Just ask them to ask the manager or sometimes-another cashier. By the way, you may already know this but, besides the newspaper 40% coupons, the "Flyer" also has 40% coupons that are good for much longer than the usual weekend.

Jefbo

Hi Jeff,

I went over to a nearby Michael's and took a coupon from the Clipper magazine which was due to expire tomorrow. I brought a kit up to the counter and asked the girl there if the coupon would count towards it. She scanned the kit and said, "Yes." So, I learned something and brought home a Resto Rod '66 Nova in the process. Cost was $5.78 including the state and county tax. I'll take it any day.

I guess the people who denied me before just didn't know what the facts were and I just assumed that they knew what they were talking about. :angry:

I did not know about the flyer having a Michael's coupon. ... and I've already taken the recycle bins out to the street! :o

Thanks for the info!

--ron

Just a side note guys. Their should be a coupon coming up once again. Another 40% off one. This coming month has three coupons coming and one week that does not. Keep an eye on some of the fliers as they also will include a bonus coupon for the next week.

Anyway, the kits at my store are pretty much almost gone. I'm trying to find out what will be going in their place. I'm hoping new Revell kits, but I'm not sure. I'm also going to see what it will take to talk to the buyer for these stores to add some diversity. I'd like to see Michael's at least rival Hobby Lobby as far as kits are concerned.

Chris

Ron, We usually don't know when the next drop occurs. They went to $12 for about 4 weeks then down to $9. They've been their for two weeks now. I'm thinking if they drop again it will be $6 but don't quote me on that. We'll see if they stay that way for a month.

Chris

Hey Ron, -My bad- :o I typed Flyer... I ment Clipper magazine. Sorry :angry:

Jefbo

No problem... after I answered your message I went into the dining room and El Flyer was still sitting on the table. I had forgotten to put it in the recycle bin. :o

Anyway, I quickly checked and afterwards surmised that you might have meant Clipper instead. No harm, no foul. :o

--ron

Ron, We usually don't know when the next drop occurs. They went to $12 for about 4 weeks then down to $9. They've been their for two weeks now. I'm thinking if they drop again it will be $6 but don't quote me on that. We'll see if they stay that way for a month.

Chris

OK, no problem. The store we usually go to has had kits go on clearance before... Sometimes down as low as $5.00, I believe.

Actually, I picked up one kit... missing the body... for a buck. Hey, the tires and other parts were worth that much. At least to me. :angry:

--ron