Model Cars Magazine Forum

Thom Danials' " LIL' Mixer"

E St. Kruiser50

I love these kind of "just for fun builds" :D . I found this at a LHS and had to build it. Never seen one at a show or on a forum. :huh: . These kind of builds are just too cool to pass up. The detail painting took the most time, but really made it "POP" :P for me. I added flames and chromed the whole engine( I have a water-based chrome system for MY OWN USE :P - Just like kit chrome only better).

Hope to see more of these kind of projects. You should see my STREET ROD BATMOBILE - MAJOR FUN!! :(:rolleyes::D

2008_0329Photobucket10028.jpg

2008_0330Photobucket10020.jpg

Edited by Treehugger Dave

that is pretty sweet .I used to not like these kits but now I love them especially the ones that haven't been around for a long time . I'm working on a stingaree that I think with a little tweaking will look pretty good .I would love to see more of these kits built especially ones not built "stock"

:( WoW Dave, that things brighter than a circus! looks great! I'm with Harry on this one,Is your chromeplating commercially available or is it a "home brewed"thing? the chrome looks great on the mixer.And lets see your Batmobile please, Ive ALWAYS loved that car even when it was still the Futura! :rolleyes:

Where did you get the chrome kit from??? :rolleyes:

Hi Harry :(

This is a pretty "INTENSE" system. Definetly not a kit. It has been used commercially for years in manufacturing. I've used Alclad for years. Even done seminairs at a few shows,including the '07 NNL West for Steve, and club functions, but was never satified, no matter how good it looked. After 2 years of searching I found what I use now and am very satisfied. It took 7 month's to learn this process and I used most of the chemicals. Did I say"CHEMICALS"? TOXIC !! :D

Anyway, no one had ever used this process in an airbrush. I had to re-design the whole system and re-formulate all the chemical ratios as their a lot more critical in a smaller system. We're talking 2oz. instead of 40oz. Then I had to design and build two different double-nozzle airbrush and HVLP guns. Then purchased a new compressor ( see pic ) and built the new 5 to seven gun system. There are 13 dedicated guns in all for this 4 step, 8 stage process. . I bought over guns 20, trying to find the right one's to use. I was determined !!!Did someone say FANATIC? :D

And Yes I do have a life. This kind of research and trial and error fits my personality. I love challanges and problem solving.

There are 3, sometimes 4 single stage and two stage urethane systems and 13 chemicals.

Some would say I'm nut's, and their probably right, but it sure was fun.

I just got everything up and running again yesterday and chromed some more parts and will clear - coat with HOK tinted UC35 clear ain just a few minutes. There is a window of time so I have to be careful.

I will add some pic's.

This is the chroming step

2005_0306roadstershow.jpg

These are the chemicals and guns

2005_0405roadstershow.jpg

these are some plated parts for the '34 in the next picture.

2008_0401Photobucket1.jpg

The complete chassis and engine under this 16th scale fully customize '34 are all chrome plated. The paint is HOK flakes and candies.

2008_0401Photobucket10035.jpg

:lol: Naw,Dave, I wouldn't call you a Fanatic, But, I would digress your problem to my Dr. Dr. Vinnie Sisboombah,And HE would probly diagnose you as "Certifiably Nuts"! You only had to show me a model to get up there with Mr.BIGGS An Bill Geary,But now with this set up I'd hafta agree with Dr. Vinnie, you is flat out NUTS!!!!! Keep it up! someday, with enough meds from the good Doc,Maybe I'll be up there with you guys!( Naw, But the Meds would be good!) :lol::lol::lol:

:lol: Naw,Dave, I wouldn't cal you a Fanatic, But, I would digress your problem to my Dr. Dr. Vinnie Sisboombah,And HE would probly diagnose you as "Certifiably Nuts"! You only had to show me a model to get up there with Mr.BIGGS An Bill Geary,But now with this set up I'd hafta agree with Dr. Vinnie, you is flat out NUTS!!!!! Keep it up! someday, with enough meds from the good Doc,Maybe I'll be up there with you guys!( Naw, But the Meds would be good!) :lol::lol::lol:

:huh::huh::huh: .Done meds and counciling for years and thank goodness non of it worked - LOL :lol:, but it did help a lot of other problems I had. - LOL :lol:

Oh well. boyz just gotta have fun ;)

:lol: WoW Dave, that things brighter than a circus! looks great! I'm with Harry on this one,Is your chromeplating commercially available or is it a "home brewed"thing? the chrome looks great on the mixer.And lets see your Batmobile please, Ive ALWAYS loved that car even when it was still the Futura! :lol:

This is "NOT" what you were thinking of, but it is a BATMOBILE :lol:

2008_0329Photobucket10034.jpg

2008_0329Photobucket10035.jpg

Guest Gramps-xrds

Dave, I'd be real interested in the whats and hows of the chroming process. I've been interested in the process for yrs. I did some research on the vacuum process but never followed it up. I read one that said you could use powered aluminum in a vacuum chamber and some how open a small port to disperse the aluminum and others that said you had to vaporize the aluminum w/ high current for it to work. So not getting all the answers I wanted I gave up on it. :lol::lol::lol:

Or maybe a link to where you found out about it.

Edited by Gramps-xrds

Nice 'fun' build, Dave! Cool to see kits like this detailed like this! I always liked the "Weird Ohs" myself and keep putting off getting one & building it - just for fun! Always nice to see your work, and nice to see your equipment too :lol::) ! Really dig your 'Street Rod Batmobile'

..........am I detecting wood? :D

2008_0329Photobucket10034.jpg

I dont even know what to say. That Batmobile is just flat out awesome. I love the paint. SO CLEAN. Maybe if they would have built one like that for the movie it wouldnt have flopped after the first one.

I am in love with your work, process, style, technique, etc., etc. The '34 is just jaw droppingly beautiful. :D SO SHINY :D I think I'm having a melt down!!!

What to say about the Lil' Mixer??? There are NO WORDS to describe how beautiful that THING is! The chrome system you have come up with is just TOP NOTCH!!!! Have you ever thought of going into business for yourself?? I would be more than happy to pay someone of your extreme worthiness to chrome ANYTHING!! Your chroming technique looks better than anything I have ever seen!!!! I just dont know what to really say..... THANK YOU!!!