Model Cars Magazine Forum

Villeneuve's Williams Renault Fw19

ismaelg

Hello,

The Corvette GTP will be the main project next, but this will run in parallel:

Jacques Villeneuve's '97 driver's championship car. I wrote a very short review in the kit review section.

DSCF1222-vi.jpg

This kit does not lend itself to superdetailing. That's fine, because I want a simple build. It will be an "Exercise in the basics"

The way this kit is designed you have to put the interior tub before getting the body halves together. This leaves unacceptable gaps.

DSCF1219-vi.jpg

So after some thought, I opened the back of the tub and the seat can slide forward now. The body can be glued and painted.

DSCF1218-vi.jpg

Let the filler loose....

DSCF1228-vi.jpg

Thanks,

Edited by ismaelg

Hello,

After hours of body prep here we are. The plastic had more ripples than a surf beach!

DSCF1350-vi.jpg

Panel lines rescribed, body parts attached and seams eliminated. I've used a lot of filler and almost a full can of T235 here.

Now it is ready for color.

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

The rusty hacksaw attacks again!!!

This time, the victim was an axle. The designer of this kit did not thought we may want to paint it. So it's designed to assemble everything first and paint it later.

DSCF1602-vi.jpg

This lump of plastic is supposed to be the engine :) But don't worry.

DSCF1603-vi.jpg

Also, the solid exhaust tips won't cut it.

DSCF1604-vi.jpg

Thanks,

Definitely looking good. I can't wait to see what you do with the "engine" :D

Just one critique though. The pictures make the blue paint look metallic and the reference material I have shows the FW-19 ran with an opaque blue and white paint scheme. The metallics didn't happen until 2003 with the FW-23.

Andy

Definitely looking good. I can't wait to see what you do with the "engine" :)

Just one critique though. The pictures make the blue paint look metallic and the reference material I have shows the FW-19 ran with an opaque blue and white paint scheme. The metallics didn't happen until 2003 with the FW-23.

Andy

You are right Andy, the FW19 had a solid color, not metallic. The lacquer paint I used was the closest match I had available, but it is metallic. However, it is subtle and should not overwhelm the overall look. The reason why it is more evident, particularly in the interior shots, is that I had to overexpose those pictures quite a bit (+2.0) for the interior to show. Final pictures with natural light should be ok (I hope :))

About the engine: What engine? :D

Thanks,