Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'straight-8'.
This kit is a challenge for the ADD cursed. It is the ex-Hubley 1930 Duesenberg as produced by Ertl. When i went hunting for one i looked for the Ertl example in order to have fresher 'chrome'. At this point, there's at least 15 hours into deburring the diecast parts, mostly with a hand grinder and various rotary files and such. Then another few hours tweaking the body halves to where they mirror each other while fitting flat into the floor/fenders unit. Eventually it was time to glue the body halves together with JB Weld and some perforated stainless steel that was liberated from an ancient computer tower. There are 2 layers of stainless in 4 places. The body halves were JB'ed while they were pulled down into the floor/fender unit with some strapping tape. After the JB hardened up the joints were grooved with a 1" cutoff wheel in the hand grinder and the area next to the grooves roughed up with a rotary file to ready it for some more JB as a body filler. The JB Weld is quite a bit harder and stronger than the 2-part epoxies i have used in the past. The reputation seems deserved. Carry on!