Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wip Custom Body Duster funny car

The very first funny car I saw run a drag strip was Phil Castronovo's Dodge Charger in the late 60s or early 70s at the Utica-Rome 1/8 mile strip. I was hooked right then. The photos I took in the pits got loaned to someone and never returned. My negs got damaged but I have great memories.

Your build looks really good.

Yes~ i had to paint all the white n under too, it would have looked gray! Then i used yellow 1/8th pin stripeing from auto zone to trim edges! The red was a pain too, but yes decals are from his daughter Nicki..good deal, ya just gotta trim them close! Wobt slide off single..

Thanks Chris, Yea,,I never seen any built, I really like the Charger your doing, I seen them run at dragway 42 in West Salem Ohio back in 74, it was a National event,,was very cool car, the snake and Mongoose were also there, was very neat,,But the car and guys stuck with me, the Castronova brothers were wild back then,lol I will post finished pics in the next day or so, its close,,Thanks Guys

Yes~ i had to paint all the white n under too, it would have looked gray! Then i used yellow 1/8th pin stripeing from auto zone to trim edges! The red was a pain too, but yes decals are from his daughter Nicki..good deal, ya just gotta trim them close! Wobt slide off single..

WOW, IT LOOKS GREAT ALAN. SO SHE DOESN'T PRINT A WHITE BASE, OR JUST NOT ENOUGH OF ONE?

the Castronova brothers were wild back then,lol

I met Fred about 4 years ago at the Custom Body shop in Utica. He was emptying out the building and putting it up for sale. He was still a character. Talked about telling his crew chief he'd cut off a very important part of him if he didn't get the car qualified at the US Nationals one year!

yes, has white,,but on black,,it looks grey, right,,maybe to thin,,it was a trip doing, I laid the decals over the side's, and lightly traced over edges with pencil, worked,,

I bet meeting him in the late years was a trip,,lol