Model Cars Magazine Forum

What color for a 70 challenger tailpanel ?

I've seen the tail panel (the area between the trunk lid and the tail light) on 70 challengers in body color ,Black(organisol?) and that silver color . Is there a rhyme or reason to it ? I cant tell if it has something to do with trim package ,stripe choice , color choice or just random choice of the buyer. Also if you have suggestions for the silver and black color in hobby paint because I don't have one in the driveway so it's hard to tell what they look like in the real world.

Body color on everything EXCEPT.

Challenger T/A which is black

Challengers with the Se option have a Argent silver finish panel above the taillights.

Ps. Some challenger RT cars will be black as well.

Edited by gtx6970

Thanks guys for the quick responses,Soooooo in summation ,the argent silver only on the SE ? black only on T/A ? some RTs with black otherwise body color . I assume the base models would be body color? I did do the usual searches but I couldn't make the correlation between the colors/options because it seems that there is always an exception to the rule or just incorrect restos. I found several informative pages that covered almost everything I need.

Not sure if you have Facebook,but if you do Graveyard Cars constantly pour pictures out from they`re restoration process

so there is tons of great referance materieal. When it comes to Mopars,i have stop using Google,i just go on there and

look. Right now they are restoring a 70 Challenger R/T plum crazy.

Check it out.

Thanks guys for the quick responses,Soooooo in summation ,the argent silver only on the SE ? black only on T/A ? some RTs with black otherwise body color . I assume the base models would be body color? I did do the usual searches but I couldn't make the correlation between the colors/options because it seems that there is always an exception to the rule or just incorrect restos. I found several informative pages that covered almost everything I need.

Corect,

The only one that got the silver panel argent panel is the SE equipped cars wih could be a base model SE or an RT/SE ( the silver is actully a seperate piece )

All the TA's got the black paint to coincide with the black rear spoiler

MOST RTs were body color ,,,but I am pretty sure some received the black paint treatment ( unless it was an SE )