Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 GTX/Road Runner Differences?

Just wondering if anyone can tell me what is involved in converting a '69 GTX to a '69 Satellite? I know that the Satellite is a dresses to Road Runner and looking at photos of the GTX and Road Runner, the cars appear similar other than ornamentation and trim. The Road Runner kits are expensive so I was wondering about converting a GTX and making it appear to be a Satellite. Hopefully, someone casts the proper grille..Any suggestions are welcomed..

The Sport Satellite was the equivalent trim-wise to the GTX and used the same interior and similar exterior trim- biggest difference would be the hood. The Satellite used the same style grille as the Road Runner but had some extra moldings and brightwork. The Satellite would have a bench seat interior with nicer trim than the base Road Runner but not the woodgrain like the Sport Satellite/GTX

Externally you'd just need a Road Runner style grille and the non-bulged hood- I believe these items are available from Harts Parts Resin to convert an AMT GTX to a Satellite or just the hood for a Sport Satellite

Interior wise the Road Runner parts would tend to be more accurate for a Satellite, the GTX interior correct for a Sport Satellite

1969 GTX powertrain is either 440 or hemi ,

All 1969 GTX's had bucket seats, woodgrain dash applique and doorpanel trim , Bucket seats were optional on a Roadrunner . But none of the interior woodgrain was even avail on a roadrunner

1969 GTX has a moulding that runs along the lower body line ( its 1969 GTX ONLY )

It also has recessed tail lights and a special trunk lid applique ( chrome trim ) thats very similar to the 1969 Sport satellite . Plus the grille is unique to GTX or Sport Satellite

All the sheetmetal ,,including the hood is the same between roadrunner and gtx

Yes, You can convert a GTX to a road runner,,,all you need is the grille. which I belive is avail thru either Modelhuas or Harts Parts.

Ps, A Satellite or Sport Satellite was never avail with the hood thats on a roadrunner or GTX

Edited by gtx6970

Thanks Bill. My goal is to build a base bench seat Satellite hardtop like my kid brother used to own. Looking at photos of a GTX and a Road Runner, the tail lights seem very similiar. Could GTX taillights pass for Satellite? Seem to me they may but I would like your opinion. How I wish that I had a photo of my brother's Satellite..*sighs*