Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

'58 Impala (amt)

Raul_Perez

Great job, Raul!! A nice clean build with lots of eye candy under the hood!! :P

Hey buddy...really - really nice car!!!

I know you had a struggle with this puppy, been there...

Your 58 really turned out great, I'm liken' al them details. :D

Looks great Raul. It is nice when the albatross can look that good getting evicted from the workbench. :D

Thanks guys!! Like I said, I am SO GLAD to have this one finished. This one hated me from the start all the way through to the end. :P

WOW!!! I've been away for the weekend, on unfortunate family business, and this is the treat I get when I get back. I love it. The wheels set everything off nicely.

I say A+ with ang BIG gold star.

Sweet, nice looking clean build. It turned out really good.

I agree the wheels set it off nicely.

Thanks, guys! A lot of folks on the board helped with the wheels! B)

Robert,

I'm sorry to hear about the misfortune in your family. I hope that all will be well again soon.

Regards,

• 7 months later...

Excellent 58 you have there. Makes me wanna drag mine out and try to make it 25% as nice as this one. Probably as close as I'll get to it with my current skills.

Just add me to the list of fans of your builds. Gives a lot of us (or maybe it's just me) something to aim for.

I really dont know how I bloody missed this build but man is this thing impressive. Nice subtle mods to bring it to life.

2 thumbs up from me bro

Thanks, Dan!! Yes, my builds are typically more subtle than outrageous, and this is probably a good example of that.

OK Raul, I gotta know.

Do you ever build a model that does not turn out PERFECT????

Beautiful 58. I'm speechless.

Ed

Ed,

That is just too funny!! :angry::rolleyes:

Sure, I have just as many "turds" that have been sent back to "the box" as I have ones that I chose to share on the forum. The funny thing is that the Impala went back to "the box" a couple of time before I decided to finish it. :rolleyes:

On that note, here's one that I can't believe that I did take the time to finish. It's the AMT custom '63 Ford Galaxie. While the paint work and the quality of the bodywork came out pretty good, (there was a lot of trim to remove from the sides), I really didn't like the look of the finished model. When a friend of mine, Stan Pinnick, saw it and really liked it, I sent it home with him.

63FordGalaxieCustom01-vi.jpg

63FordGalaxieCustom02-vi.jpg

Thanks for the compliments,

Edited by Raul_Perez

One of the nicest AMT 58 Impalas I have seen. Great work.

Thanks, Bobby!!

Glad this was brought back up since I don't think I've seen this one Raul...Thass a nice Chebby man :oB)

Thanks, Brian!! I'll have this one at the NNL West in a few months!! Hope to see you there!!

Later,

First, thanks to everone who provided ideas and comments while I was building this one. Second, I'm so glad its DONE! This one fought me all the way to the end. I may put mirrors on it if I can find some nice, simple chrome ones.

I used the custom grille surround from the AMT '58 Impala, then slightly narrowed the stock grille to fit. I didn't like the 4 bar custom grille that came with the kit.

DSC04388-vi.jpg

From here you can see the slightly modified cowl induction hood that was shaped to match the overall profile of the rear roof vent. Yep, this is also a pretty clear shot of the 19" and 23" Big-n-Littles that many of you helped me decide on using.

DSC04386-vi.jpg

Here you can see the custom taillight openings, bezels and lenses. The roll pan is one of the custom pieces from the kit. The exhaust tips are aluminum tubing.

DSC04384-vi.jpg

Here's the forward tilting, hinged hood with the built-in support rod.

DSC04376-vi.jpg

For this build, I used the Z-11 427 (based on the 409) from the AMT '62 BelAir Super Stock kit.

DSC04372-vi.jpg

The Accel super coil and the aluminum distributor are from ScaleModelingByChris. The balast resistor was made from a piece of Plastruct.

DSC04375-vi.jpg

All I can say at this point is that I'm really glad that this one is DONE!

Thanks, again to everone who helped,

VERY NICE BUILD