Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kit Bash Build - What Should I Know? '30 Ford Unchopped Coupe

I just got the 1930 Ford Coupe in an auction and I want to do a channeled, but un-chopped coupe build. I was thinking of buying the new tool 29 roadster and using the wheels, tires, chassis, etc. Is there anything specific that I should know, like if these kits are incompatible, etc? I have always wanted to do a low channeled rod that is un-chopped. I'm 6'3" and in real life a chopped and channeled rod wouldn't cut it, I'd need some head room, and I have always had a thing for tall cabs. 

Also, I don't know what kind of engine I want to do. I will consider the nail head, but not sure if I want to do a low hp cruiser, like a Flathead, or another monster motor. 

something like this

Edited by Quick GMC

1) The kit you just got is 1/24, whereas the new Revell kit is 1/25...

2) Tim Boyd built a nice bash using the R&M chopped shell (which is derived from the Monogram 1/24 shell you have) and the new Revell '29 guts, plus a Revell Caddy engine ...     http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/106297-my-second-completed-revell-29a-kitbash-a-30a-five-window-coupe-traditional-hot-rod/

DSC 0354

3) I've got one in progress using the actual Monogram shell you have, but chopped. It's on a 1/25 '32 frame, and you see the scale difference is quite acceptable.

DSCN0278_zps5be05803.jpg

4) Here's an un-chopped build going using the Monogram 1/24 shell...  http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/107048-low-rat-rod/

20151020_143025_zpscakpyszb.jpg

CONCLUSION: What you want to do will work fine.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy