Model Cars Magazine Forum

Low bridges

Copy that Mathew. The drivers at my job use a commercial GPS, and they check their route prior to leaving!

You used the correct term too Dennis, DRIVERS!! They are a part of a dying breed that know a GPS is a tool only, not an autopilot like the newer "Steering wheel holder" believes GPS is. I have GPS built directly into the Qualcomm in my work truck, and just have it on to have something on the screen other than the blank screen when the truck is in motion and to see how close I am to the store I'm delivering to. I do use it as a tool when I might have two stores on a route I have not gone to back to back before, but if the routes don't match truck routes in the atlas, I'd rather drive a few extra miles than follow it into trouble. Yes, the Qualcomm based GPS is supposed to be truck specific, but I have to laugh when it might say in the route preview "unpaved road". Yep, not going to follow that, I'll go my way!:lol:

There are a few bridges that I cross with my '67 Power Wagon that is ok wide, (no "tops") BUT on the way to my Step-Sons garage there is 2 bridges single lane, that are to narrow for my truck! The first 2 times (I totally forgot the 2nd time around that the bridge literally is to narrow by about 6 inches for my pick up to cross it) BUT because of my truck, I just hooked 'er in gear and through the river I went....... LOL (I'ma mudder so....) BUT, the 2nd time around the wife was holding on to everything she could grab. Was a bit funny as it takes something more then slow moving water to move an 8,000 lb truck LOL

The 23 y/o female driver of this truck in Indiana not only tried to go across a bridge marked for 6 tons, her truck was also too tall.

http://www.livetrucking.com/indiana-bridge-collapses-after-being-struck-by-semi-truck/

http://www.livetrucking.com/truck-driver-who-knocked-down-bridge-said-she-didnt-know-how-much-6-tons-was/

Indiana Bridge Falls Into Creek After Being Struck By Semi Truck

Edited by redneckrigger