Model Cars Magazine Forum

Trailer connectores

I have to install some of those along with a pogo stick on my GMC. Just to be sure, there are two air lines ans one electrical right? And, are all those colors I see a code or can one use anything?

That video below stayed there from my last post I can't get rid of it.
Edited by landman

Pat - they use to not be color coded . They were mostly rubber hoses ,black and if you were fancy you might have a redish one .  Then guys started getting those hard line coiled air hoses from sears that was yellow. 

I cant remember when they became "red & blue" maybe about the time truck driving schools started popping up (?)

I noticed the color coded more in the 1980's or my exposure to trucks was greater.

Pat, there are usually 2 air lines, red and blue. The lines themselves don't need to be color coded, just the ends to determine the service and emergency lines. There is typically 1 electrical cord, sometimes more depending on what type of trailer your pulling. I pulled a trailer with a lift gate and lift axle, there was an extra cord for the gate and a smaller cord for the axle.

Pat, there are usually 2 air lines, red and blue. The lines themselves don't need to be color coded, just the ends to determine the service and emergency lines. There is typically 1 electrical cord, sometimes more depending on what type of trailer your pulling. I pulled a trailer with a lift gate and lift axle, there was an extra cord for the gate and a smaller cord for the axle.

Correct there can also be be additional air lines with additional lift axles as well.

It'll likely wind up pulling the KJ detachable gooseneck. Is there an addirional air line for that or is it hydraulic?

Absolutely. Your gonna have a hydraulic hose, just like if you were pulling an end dump. 

A little extra info..

I've seen some of the really big oversize setups, 2 trucks pullin, 3 or 4 pushin, that have 5 hydraulic hoses, 4 airlines, 3 electrical cords. I have a pic somewhere, I'm gonna have to look for it.

I had heard someplace that on modern trucks, one of the lines going to the trailer has something to do with ABS brakes? 

Actually, and don't hold me to this because I'm not completely 100% sure, it's not a separate line going to the trailer for ABS, but why on modern trucks like this 2012 Peterbilt 386 I drove have green electrical lines instead of the black lines that were more common when I first started driving 18 years ago. 

The green line, and as I said I'm not 100% certain on this, indicates that the line is wired to operate the ABS brake circuit on the trailer, where the older black cords were not. There is a decal on the front of all trailers that calls out what each pin powers that is similar to this:

I know there is one that states constant power must be supplied to the certain pin for the ABS circuit, but not sure exactly which one. I'll click a pic of the decal at work tomorrow.

The blue wire in the 7 way cord is the ABS wire. The 7 way cord is typically green and coiled or non, but it can be black coild or non. Same with air lines. They can both be black or whatever color from what I've seen, as long as the glad hands are distinguished between red and blue. Usually the tab on the connector to press the rubber grommets together.