Model Cars Magazine Forum

Indycar Season Opener At Homestead

My son and I went to the opening race for the IndyCar season at Homestead Fla. I can describe it all in one word, AWESOME!

There was a 26 car field, it's great that the two series came back together. Homestead is a nice track, we had great seats. I have been a fan of open wheel racing for a long time and this was my first time to an Indy race. I have been to the Daytona 500 and all I can say is "sorry NASCAR fans", open wheel racing blows them away. The speeds are unbelievable, the noise is deafening and the wheel to wheel racing exciting. My favorite driver Tony Kanaan almost won except for an unfortunate incident with 8 laps to go. He was really haulin the mail and would have easily won. Oh well thats racing! We are definitely going again next year. Open wheel fans, we are in for a great year of racing.

Nick, I love watching rally racing. Those guys are insane. I was mad when SPEED took it off their schedule.

SPEED needs their heads examined, they take off world class rally championship racing and give us grown men racing lawnmowers. I have not heard much lately about it but the guy who originally owned Speed Channel is not happy with the way it is now and wants to start a new racing channel. I hope he does, I for one have had enough of NASCAR's ######! I ams sad to say that it says something about our country if people would wrather watch lawnmower races over WRC.

Edited by 935k3

SPEED needs their heads examined, they take off world class rally championship racing and give us grown men racing lawnmowers. I have not heard much lately about it but the guy who originally owned Speed Channel is not happy with the way it is now and wants to start a new racing channel. I hope he does, I for one have had enough of NASCAR's ######! I ams sad to say that it says something about our country if people would wrather watch lawnmower races over WRC.

THANK YOU :) I thought it was jsut me noticing NASCAR was on 21 hours on speed. ;) I don't mind some of the actual shows.

I like my lawnmower racing but it sucks compared to rally. As for the guy that owned the speed channel, I'm glad he is not happy, it's for a good reason and I hope he does a new channel too. ;)

I hope we still have F1 next year because SPEED's contract runs out this year. For those who would knock F1 remember that on this planet F1 is king and second only to soccer in money and viewership. Just look at the costs of building an F1 car(estimated at $14 milliion each) and a NASCRAP that can be built for $120,000(that might get you 2 F1 steering wheels). And of course F1 can even brag their fines are bigger, just ask Mclaren about their $100 million dollar deficit. NASCAR is all about personalities not the cars(no wonder their boring old technology).Longe live the king. And how do you even compare little 1/2 mile tracks to the beauty and majesty of tracks like Spa.

F1 is just Awesome, the technology, the speed. V8's screaming to 19,000 rpm. And when you mention Spa, I think Eau Rouge. One of the fastest corners in racing, that whole track is exciting. I like racing Spa on my son's PS3.

Edited by 58 Impala

Real racecar drivers do know how to turn right. :rolleyes: All kidding aside, I do watch Nascar. I love all types of motorsports. My favorite Nascar races are Sonoma and Watkins Glen, I wish they would do more road courses. That is some fun paint trading to watch.

Real racecar drivers do know how to turn right. :D All kidding aside, I do watch Nascar. I love all types of motorsports. My favorite Nascar races are Sonoma and Watkins Glen, I wish they would do more road courses. That is some fun paint trading to watch.

:rolleyes: I was just stirring up some stuf. I also like all kinds of racing. Did a little myself a long time ago. But, that being said, my favorite is still dirt track modifieds. Just something about dirt rooster tails flying comming off of corners.

It was an F1 game, but maybe it wasn't PS3. It might have been PS2, Xbox or Xbox 360, I'm so confused :) . My son probably has every game system in exsistance. I'll have to ask him which one, all I know is he has a steering wheel for the game which makes it fun.

I hope we still have F1 next year because SPEED's contract runs out this year. For those who would knock F1 remember that on this planet F1 is king and second only to soccer in money and viewership. Just look at the costs of building an F1 car(estimated at $14 milliion each) and a NASCRAP that can be built for $120,000(that might get you 2 F1 steering wheels). And of course F1 can even brag their fines are bigger, just ask Mclaren about their $100 million dollar deficit. NASCAR is all about personalities not the cars(no wonder their boring old technology).Longe live the king. And how do you even compare little 1/2 mile tracks to the beauty and majesty of tracks like Spa.

I agree F-1 is king. It is more like $100 million to develope a car, $10 million just to participate in ONE race, Michael Schummacher was the highest paid athlete in the world - probabaly $100 million a year before any endorsments (Ferrari aint saying)(last year alone he gave over $100 million to charities). The crew for one team is in excess of 80 people at the track alone and 10 times that the stay "home". It takes six weeks to build a single cylinder head, and the equipment taken to the track fills 6 Semis - and they race some the best tracks in the world. BTW a F-1, by FIA regulations, burns pump gas. ;)

The 24 hrs of Le Mans is the most watched sporting even in the world viewed by 1.3 Billion with a B people from 63 countries. Not even the Superbowl can touch those stats.

The Rolex, ALMS and SCCA are the fastest growing forms of motorsports in this country, and the ALMS series was, last year, was one of the most interesting to watch, and like F-1, it came down to the last race to crown one of 3 drivers Champion. While AFAIK NASCAR peaked a few years ago and has been declining ever since. At least SPEED has recongnized that and has broadcasted more road racing, most of the 24hrs at Daytona, most of the 16hrs at Sebring, and most of the 24hrs of Le Mans.

I even enjoy Oz's V8 Supercars, which is basically their version of NASCAR, only with state of the art cars on road courses.

Although I would like to see more than just Febuary Highlights, same with DTM: more than Feb. Highlights

And you can't compare Spa with any track NASCAR races on. I guess I just don't "get it." I am not even sure why someone would want to strap themself into 50 year-old technology (otherwise known as a 3500 # deathtrap) and go 200mph 2 inches from a cement wall?

I wish someone could explain it so that I could understand it because I don't get it. I even tried to watch it, tired to understand it, but to no avail, I just don't get it. I tried at least, which is more than I can say of may NASCAR fans.

There was some discussion of another International SAT racing channel that may get a crack at picking up F-1.

PS Spa is one of my Favorite tracks in GTR-2.

Sweet, you have GTR2! :rolleyes: I wish I had a good enough computer. Is rFactor better?

computer racing sims are way better than Forza 2 :D

LFS, rFactor, GTR and GTR2, NASA Sim, etc :lol:

Yeah, it takes a lot of system to run GTR2, it is supposed to be the best sim out there. It's the best I have played. I used to play Sports Car GT, which was cutting edge when it came out.

Forza is more of an Arcade game than a racing sim.