Model Cars Magazine Forum

My new ride, for work.

I'm a bit on both sides about it. It's lighter, by 3000 pounds, it's new (206 miles when I got in it), electric tarps on both boxes, 500 horse DD15 Detroit. Now for the downer, to me. It's an Autoshift Eaton. I don't like it, I don't like that that's how the industry is going, but I've accepted it, the 15% pay increase helps. 

My company usually uses the boxes off the older trucks that are getting replaced. But, since we're increasing the size of our fleet, this truck is 100% new. No issues, worked perfect right out the gate. This is 1 of 2 we received yesterday. We will be receiving 3 more all new units in a few weeks. After these next new trucks, any future new units, will have a manual trans in them, but with the smaller DD13. It's only gonna be 400 horse, but about the same weight, maybe 300 pounds lighter. So I chose to take the more powerful automatic.

Nice ride Clayton! The auto is a little bit of a downer, but hey, for a pay raise and 100 extra ponies, I'd take it too! It is a shame they don't teach real truck driving in steering wheel holder school anymore that means everything has to do the thinking for them, but like you said, unfortunately that is the way the industry is heading. Those of us who don't need the truck thinking for us and actually take pride in what we do are a dying breed. I've heard the trucks on the Walmart account I'm on will all be autos by the end of the year, and I don't want one, but just be glad yours doesn't have the On-Guard radar cruise control too. If I could find a way to disable the radar without taking out the whole cruise control system, I would, because it is so nice when you are trying to get up a hill with the little kick the GPS based Freightliner Predictive Cruise Control will give to speed up for a hill, then the stupid radar picks up a car you are trying to pass and slows you down. :rolleyes: I've also had the radar pick up a car getting off an off ramp, and because the radar just sees the speed and distance and not what I'm seeing and the car not in front of me, the cruise will apply the Jakes or the service brakes depending on how close the radar says it is. Yeah, was a real "WHAT THE BLEEP!!" moment just after I had been assigned that truck when the truck slammed on the brakes when there was nothing but a car getting off an off ramp around me! There are a couple times the readout on the dash for it that shows the distance and speed has been interesting though, the fastest I've seen it read was 132 MPH!

I know a few owner ops out here that are putting that Allison in gliders with a 6NZ in front of it. My first thought was, WHY. Why waste a 6NZ with an automatic. But those guys run A LOT in traffic.

Sweet looking ride. Too bad they didn't get the allison rugged duty trans. I've always been a manual driver, but I'm sold on the allison.

A buddy of mine was driving a PACCAR rental that had the anti-roll protection on it. He said the first time it slammed on the brakes and everything was a real check your drawers moment. He was doing 40 into a 50 MPH curve, so it really got his attention. I remember driving g a truck once that had the lane sensors. This loud as all hell buzzer would sound off if the truck got close to either line. That whole radar controlled cruise is a dangerous thing in my opinion. If they would teach these rookies how to pay attetion, stuff like that wouldn't be needed. 

This truck will slowly get my treatment. I can't add any lights yet (warranty thing). But I will be switching out the lights that are there. All the marker lights will be the 3 1/4" watermelon L.E.D. cab lights. Then I'll be adding about 30 more as soon as I can. But for now, mudflaps weights, trailer wheels and fuel tank polished, fenders repolished, and some green L.E.D. interior lights will be happening. My hopped up Cobra 29 LTD is already installed, some of my nut covers got put on this afternoon. I'm gonna try to make it a working show truck, try, but it'll never be a Pete. No matter how much chrome or Washington I do to it.

Nice ride Clayton! The auto is a little bit of a downer, but hey, for a pay raise and 100 extra ponies, I'd take it too! It is a shame they don't teach real truck driving in steering wheel holder school anymore that means everything has to do the thinking for them, but like you said, unfortunately that is the way the industry is heading. Those of us who don't need the truck thinking for us and actually take pride in what we do are a dying breed. I've heard the trucks on the Walmart account I'm on will all be autos by the end of the year, and I don't want one, but just be glad yours doesn't have the On-Guard radar cruise control too. If I could find a way to disable the radar without taking out the whole cruise control system, I would, because it is so nice when you are trying to get up a hill with the little kick the GPS based Freightliner Predictive Cruise Control will give to speed up for a hill, then the stupid radar picks up a car you are trying to pass and slows you down. :rolleyes: I've also had the radar pick up a car getting off an off ramp, and because the radar just sees the speed and distance and not what I'm seeing and the car not in front of me, the cruise will apply the Jakes or the service brakes depending on how close the radar says it is. Yeah, was a real "WHAT THE BLEEP!!" moment just after I had been assigned that truck when the truck slammed on the brakes when there was nothing but a car getting off an off ramp around me! There are a couple times the readout on the dash for it that shows the distance and speed has been interesting though, the fastest I've seen it read was 132 MPH!

Edited by Petetrucker07

A buddy of mine was driving a PACCAR rental that had the anti-roll protection on it. He said the first time it slammed on the brakes and everything was a real check your drawers moment. He was doing 40 into a 50 MPH curve, so it really got his attention. I remember driving g a truck once that had the lane sensors. This loud as all hell buzzer would sound off if the truck got close to either line. That whole radar controlled cruise is a dangerous thing in my opinion. If they would teach these rookies how to pay attetion, stuff like that wouldn't be needed. 

This truck will slowly get my treatment. I can't add any lights yet (warranty thing). But I will be switching out the lights that are there. All the marker lights will be the 3 1/4" watermelon L.E.D. cab lights. Then I'll be adding about 30 more as soon as I can. But for now, mudflaps weights, trailer wheels and fuel tank polished, fenders repolished, and some green L.E.D. interior lights will be happening. My hopped up Cobra 29 LTD is already installed, some of my nut covers got put on this afternoon. I'm gonna try to make it a working show truck, try, but it'll never be a Pete. No matter how much chrome or Washington I do to it.

Yeah, I feel the same about the "safety" features, they wouldn't be needed if the rookies would pay attention to what they are doing and realize they aren't driving an overgrown car. 

And you are right, it will never be a Pete, it's barely even worthy of the Western Star name since Freightliner took over the brand! :lol: Don't get me wrong, I've logged many of my miles in a Freightshaker, but I've heard the quality of the Stars have went down big time. 

Just how hopped up is that 29? :huh: I had one with a local place I worked at about 10 years ago that came in the new Mack CH613 I got with 12 miles on it, one of the other drivers there talked me into getting it peaked and tuned at a little CB shop he had work on his radios. After $15 for the peak and tune, I was pushing 40 watts out of that 29! :o Our other friend and drinking buddy wasn't too happy when me and the other friend would walk all over his out of the box Connex, the one with his Galaxy 66 and me with that little 29 that came with my truck! :lol: Wasn't long until the Connex had some work done to it! :lol:

My 29 is pushin 58 out the back. It's a special edition Harley Davidson radio. The first radio I've ever bought brand new. Now, my Magnum S6 is pushin 126 out the back. It's wrapped up, in a box, in my closet, with my Conne Aut, Ohio Astatic mic. I'm not gonna put that radio in this truck. We go down too many rough dirt roads. I have another hopped up 29 in my pick up, a bunch of friends and i go wheel around the mountains on powerline roads and whatnot. The worst radio I own is a Galaxy 959. It has issues the shop can't figure out. It's modulation is scattered across the entire thing. I think it's junk. I'm takin the new truck on its first round trip run today. I'm gonna have about a 1000 mile loop, ending back in my yard tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully I don't hurt myself tryin to step on the "air" clutch, or fall asleep of pure boredom with nothing to occupy my mind besides watching what's in front of me. After so many years of multitasking, I know I'm gonna be stopping for a nap or 2.

Yeah, I feel the same about the "safety" features, they wouldn't be needed if the rookies would pay attention to what they are doing and realize they aren't driving an overgrown car. 

And you are right, it will never be a Pete, it's barely even worthy of the Western Star name since Freightliner took over the brand! :lol: Don't get me wrong, I've logged many of my miles in a Freightshaker, but I've heard the quality of the Stars have went down big time. 

Just how hopped up is that 29? :huh: I had one with a local place I worked at about 10 years ago that came in the new Mack CH613 I got with 12 miles on it, one of the other drivers there talked me into getting it peaked and tuned at a little CB shop he had work on his radios. After $15 for the peak and tune, I was pushing 40 watts out of that 29! :o Our other friend and drinking buddy wasn't too happy when me and the other friend would walk all over his out of the box Connex, the one with his Galaxy 66 and me with that little 29 that came with my truck! :lol: Wasn't long until the Connex had some work done to it! :lol:

My 29 is pushin 58 out the back. It's a special edition Harley Davidson radio. The first radio I've ever bought brand new. Now, my Magnum S6 is pushin 126 out the back. It's wrapped up, in a box, in my closet, with my Conne Aut, Ohio Astatic mic. I'm not gonna put that radio in this truck. We go down too many rough dirt roads. I have another hopped up 29 in my pick up, a bunch of friends and i go wheel around the mountains on powerline roads and whatnot. The worst radio I own is a Galaxy 959. It has issues the shop can't figure out. It's modulation is scattered across the entire thing. I think it's junk. I'm takin the new truck on its first round trip run today. I'm gonna have about a 1000 mile loop, ending back in my yard tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully I don't hurt myself tryin to step on the "air" clutch, or fall asleep of pure boredom with nothing to occupy my mind besides watching what's in front of me. After so many years of multitasking, I know I'm gonna be stopping for a nap or 2.

My newest is the 29 with the LED face, can't remember what they called it, I haven't even used it in about 2 years. Around here anymore, there is too much traffic from oil and gas wells and I got tired of hearing all their stuff (insert favorite four letter word here :lol:) I didn't even bother putting it in my truck at Schneider. I got a 29 Classic I bought in one of those truck stop deals, it was probably so hot it's a wonder it didn't burn my fingers, but hey, $30 for a working radio (the guy did hook it up in his truck when I bought it) still in the box was too good to pass up, especially since I wanted it for a backup radio. I know one time I was looking at a 959 too, the friend I worked with that was big in radios as a hobby said the 3 number Galaxies were junk, so I stuck with the Cobras. 

I think that is one thing I wouldn't have to worry about is trying to hit the clutch when I do get an auto, except for when I stop! :lol: The first thing I asked when I had to take my road test when I started working for Schneider was "You aren't going to expect me to double clutch, are you? Because if you do, it's going to be a rough ride!" :lol: If you need some good road music, I have quite a bit on my phone I listen to that fights the boredom! :lol:

Be safe on your first ride in the new ride, don't get her too dirty! :lol:

Good looking truck Clayton.  Plus, it's new!  How cool is that.  I like the color, and the look of the metal out back, a nice combo in my opinion.  I'm even thinking down the road of modelling something along these lines.

Man, don't worry about not having to shift gears like on the other trucks.  You have more time to play with a smartphone, like other folks on the road!

congrats on the new ride clayton !

the company I work for recently purchased 8 new freight shaker cascadias.

all but two are auto shifts, most guys don't like them including myself.

biggest problem is the exaust fluid system. four had to go back to the dealer for warranty work. 

they derate to 25 mph when the system fails, a dangerous situation.