Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/8 Fiat Fuel Altered 3D printed!

mnagatani

Hello all,

New to the forum, but building for a long time this will be a 1/8 Fiat 60's-70's altered.  This model could potentially be 100% 3D printed and then using the traditional hand skills to refine the print issues.  What I mean by that is the body and larger parts  will need to be massaged via auto primers and sanding.  Not sure on the motor setup, but figure I throw in an early Hillborn intake I have done.  This is a project that I've just started and will learn a lot from.  Working on the body and will then go to the frame and suspension.   Been doing the 3D stuff  by trade and  I am finally putting that skill set to my interest in models.  Sample link of my current ebay offerings.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141935323482?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Images of the body(WIP) and some other parts ready to go!

IMG_5094.thumb.JPG.d7d1a11195de96b035faa

IMG_5117.thumb.PNG.1197f4b4770417c0e8833

IMG_5116.thumb.PNG.6faaefbf45f7dbc52661c

IMG_5085.thumb.PNG.158135a627631a1ef51ba

IMG_5096.thumb.JPG.2f1af1f14a2a562014b08

Will update as I go!

interesting  build mike. i do a lot of 1/8 stuff myself.  will the body be an accurate representation or are you just eyeballing it?  i ask because, if you are going to sell this. i would definately be interested in buying one, if it's an accurate copy.  the wheels and tires look great. good luck with the rest of the build!

Great question...The body is not based on a scan.  For many years I built 3D car bodies for the video game industry.  I take pride in the craft of 3D modeling and try to achieve the highest degree of accuracy.  The most accurate representation of a car body comes from a scan.  I don't have the financial means to purchase one of these.   My practice and skills come from as many photo references as I can get a hold of.  Blueprints are the method I go about my base body creation and then its my years of experience to judge the surfaces from reference material.  Its not easy, but the challenge is so rewarding.  

Currently using Shapeways for my printing.  I once used a higher end print service for a test wheel, but the cost was too high to justify it....  About three times as much.  So for now I'll go with Shapeways and prep the body like a 1:1.   Make a mold and cast in resin.  The body will be broken up in two parts (body and hood).  The surface quality is just not there yet.  

Mike 

As I was building my 1/8 stuff back a few  years ago I wanted to have the wheels the 1:1 world had access to.  Long story short I ended up making what I wanted on the computer.  I also wanted others to have it also so I started selling them on eBay.  As I have progressed more wheels parts have been made and I'll sell anything I make.  I want all to have access to my creations.  Here we are now as I have always wanted the fiat in 1/8.  Big question for me is the time and money commitment to creating a body.  Will it sell?  What I think is cool may not to others.  I'm hoping the fiat will be a good bet it will.  We have never seen a fiat in 1/8 or 1/12.  Once it's done it's for sale!  Thanks for the comment.

Mike