Model Cars Magazine Forum

'41 Willys Pro Street curbside-ish

Rider

Very ambitious paint scheme that you are attempting. The masking process alone is going to be very time consuming and tedious. Good luck and I look forward to seeing the finished product. 

Thanks guys for following along with this process and the kind comments of support.

Richard, no worries on paint creep, everything gets a coat of clear before the next colour step.

The front end checkers are laid,  160 1.5mm checkers in total. Being hand cut they are not perfect, but after all, much of what we do in 1/25 scale is learning how to make things work. It's all a learning process. 

image.jpeg

Just pulled the tape, this is raw. It will be cleaned up, the fade originally was three colours. Blue, purple, hot pink. The hot pink wasn't very noticeable so I just carried the purple onto it. Should have just left it, paint is too heavy on the top portion, and too add acrylic does not bite into Spaz Stix chrome lacquer. You can see some edges and corners where the Chrome is peeking through. 

Front fenders still need the liquid mask to be fully cleared off.
image123.jpg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Rider

i think .. on this one ... you should choose one design and do the "panels" all the same .. it you go for a cool design like you showed on the wing ... stick with that .. the checkers also included make it to crowded imo ... just that orange and then make all the same panels and clear it .. would really pop i think !

cool to see how you plaay with paint techniques ... jut like on the other build you did with the gulf theme

i think .. on this one ... you should choose one design and do the "panels" all the same .. it you go for a cool design like you showed on the wing ... stick with that .. the checkers also included make it to crowded imo ... just that orange and then make all the same panels and clear it .. would really pop i think !

cool to see how you plaay with paint techniques ... jut like on the other build you did with the gulf theme

l agree completely Richard, however this is an exersice of different applications and colour combination. No other purpose then that. It's nothing more then a practise piece, I'd rather use a real shell instead of a piece of styrene. Kinda hard to post up a WIP on a piece of styrene, lol.

Thanks for looking it, keep following and see how wacky it is going to get. ?.

Even though this is an excersice in paining I have to be at least satisfied with each panel. So I decided to start stripping the panels on the side of the hood with easy off. There will need to be a few more application of easy off to get down to the raw shell. I  also decided to mess around with the air brush a little.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks Will.

So now that I have my AB working like a charm with the new needle and crown tip cap. The tip cap isn't really needed. It only protects the needle, but being such a klutz I figure I should keep it on because as you may or may not know needles are not cheap. Here's the cap I am working with now.

And the results.
Although I am now not sure if I am even going to incorporate them into the overall scheme. They are rather large at 3/16". Anyway I have learned a great deal through the process.

These technique is something I thought of years ago, as it turn out it is used quiet often in custom auto painting. It is simply paint laid over water droplets then allowed to dry, the paint settles onto the surface. Then you clear coat it or add pearl clear, what ever work for you.
This is white, lime green, then once the water as evaporated I shot clear Tamiya blue then clear violet pearl. It would then get the normal clear that will cover the entire car.
This I am going to incorporate into this project.

Well tonight I masked off the door panels. You can see the differences. The fish net lace is just so small there simply is not much surface for the glue to adhere to I order to create a good barrier. I sprayed this side with such low psi and at such a distance it took about 10 application to get decent coverage, and still the paint got underneath. I can assure you I burnished the heck out of it first.

The pentagram is simply cut and laid mask. 
image137.jpg
image138.jpg

Edited by Rider

Another panel update.

It seems he most difficult part of this water techique is getting good size droplets. This was my final attempt of about 25 and still not what my practice piece results were.
Check out the paint jar lid.

I still have to do the other side and will also try it on the b-pilar. Going to try another spray bottle.