Model Cars Magazine Forum

Johan Ambulance-to-Hearse conversion kit?

I just picked up the Johan Fire/Ambulance kit on fleaBay and want to convert it to a hearse. Did anyone make a conversion kit that does this, or am I going to have to piece it together from all the resin parts people are selling on eBay?

Thanks!!

I dont think there is a conversion body, since there was a offering by Johan back in the day of a hearse, in "Surf" theme but easy to convert to stock. The conversion of the ambulance to hearse is not that complicate and can be easy to do with some fine styrene sheet to fabricate the back/long window insert, also the decorative side irons can be made from plastic and rod covered with bare metal foil or painted chrome silver. Even the casket can be carved from a block of balsa wood, sealed and stained with the addition of handles made from styrene sheet and rod. To do the "vinyl top cover, the old trick of the tan/yellow masking tape cut to shape, usualy 3 pieces top and two sides using the union as the "stiching point" seen in the real cars, painted flat black or semigloss black will do the trick, for this to work remember having a very nice smooth and gloosy finish so the tape can fit and stay in place, also if possible use the 3M brand, it have the best adhesion in my personal experience.

You can also use "texture spray paint" available at most auto parts store, just see if the grain is fine and to scale, and use a good seal tape to cover the rest of the bodywork.

Good luck and hope it helps.