Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stupid Newb Question

Guest roadkill2525

I've used Drano, Simple Green and Easy-Off. The Easy-Off works the best, put your parts in a zip top bag spary in some Easy-Off and wait about 10-20mins. Wash off, dry and paint. Make sure the Easy-Off is the one with the yellow cap.

I've also used Pine-Sol in the past. Depending on the paint it can take a while.

I liked it because I was ablr to buy a large quantity, had it in a fair sized container so that I could submerge a model car body, and cover and seal it. It lasted a good long time, and when it got to the point that I wanted to get rid of it, I did put it out with the household special waste. Remember that even if something is biodegradeable (like some of the suggestions here), as soon as you add paint to it, it is hazardous waste. Safety first! Ventilation for most of our hobby is a given. A respirator is something to consider. Your health is important!!

I have used Simple Green with great success. The nice thing about the stuff is that it can be re-used after you strain the "junk" off of it.

I also use it to strip paint. As others have mentioned, make sure it is well ventilated and wear gloves as the stuff is strong .

Also as mentioned, some of us that aren't "newbs" even have dumb questions, so feel free to ask away.

Mike

I've used Fingernail Polish remover with great success for many years. You can use either the type with acetone or the acetone-free. Soak the parts in a bath of FNPR for several hours (up to 24 with the non-acetone variety, somewhat less with the acetone). Be aware that acetone can soften and even disintegrate smaller, fragile parts, so be very careful about exposure times.

Advantages: cheap, widely available, safer and considerably less causitc than Drain-o, Easy-Off or Super Clean (you don't need a mask or gloves to work with it).

Hope this helps