Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bill Drennen 379 hood???

That looks like a Revell snap 359 hood stretched to a 379 Mike.

Hmmm...I wonder who made it. It's all resin and it's well-done. The resin is smooth, not grainy like a lot of resin parts are. it includes the 4 extra grille bars which is what led me to think it might be a Drennen conversion.

Without seeing it close up, it could be.  Or a very good re-pop. I have an original Dreenan kit, cast by Clint Freeman in a tan-ish vinyl resin. Your item looks to be cast in a cheaper material.  But I think there were several castiers later on that used different materials.  You are missing the cab and a few other items that came in the original kit. 

Edited by chuckyr

Without seeing it close up, it could be.  Or a very good re-pop. I have an original Dreenan kit, cast by Clint Freeman in a tan-ish vinyl resin. Your item looks to be cast in a cheaper material.  But I think there were several castiers later on that used different materials.  You are missing the cab and a few other items that came in the original kit. 

I know it's hard to tell from a photo but this seems to be pretty good material as resin goes. I've had a lot of resin parts that are gritty and grainy and these are nice a smooth. Besides the cab what other parts does the original Drennen kit come with?

• 2 weeks later...

The Pete hood you're showing is the Clint Freeman 1/24th scale hood. MS-10 You'll notice that it's got the narrow hood strip which is the same as the 1/24th Italeri Pete 378 kit This hood is to convert the Italeri 378 to a 379. Just checked mine, bought it way back in 2002 for $35.

The Bill Drennen 379 hood is 1/25th scale, it's to convert the Revell Pete 359 to a 379. It's got the wider hood hood strip the same as the Revell kit.     

Edited by kevjoh
gramma

The Pete hood you're showing is the Clint Freeman 1/24th scale hood. MS-10 You'll notice that it's got the narrow hood strip which is the same as the 1/24th Italeri Pete 378 kit This hoods to convert the Italeri 378 to a 379. Just checked mine, bought it way back in 2002 for $35.

The Bill Drennen 379 hood is 1/25th scale, it's to convert the Revell Pete 359 to a 379. It's got the wider hood hood strip the same as the Revell kit.     

Thank you very much for that information Kevin. I was trying to decide what to do with the hood and at least I know now what it'll mate up to. I might try to hunt down a resin Ultra cab or just stick with a regular kit cab or make a 379 wrecker or, or, or...:lol:

Glad I was able to help. I reckon the ideal kit for this 379 extended hood would be the Italeri Pete 378 # 3857 Long Hauler kit, it's got the same big sleeper as the Italeri 377 kit. There's a heap of info on Google about this kit.