Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Pete 359 color question

Hey all,

Hope all are well. Have a question about color. Just received the Revell Pete 359 as a gift and want to give her a really sharp paint job. Thought about the following 4 colors.  Black, Royal Blue, Green, or Red (Maroon). Since I plan on building it as an owner/operator unit I will source the decals from Model Trucking. Any thoughts/suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks for looking. 

JerseeJerry

I would go with the Maroon.  Black is a tricky color.  When I paint black I use flat black followed by a few coats of clear.  Also remember that for this kit you don't need glue if this is the Revell of America you are talking about.

Edited by angelo7

It is a great kit. I've built a few of them, not a single one straight out the box, every one is modified. As Angel said, the rims and tires can be bit tricky. It is lacking in some details, but a great kit. As far color, I guess it depends on what decals your gonna use. If your torn on color, look at the eecals, pick a set and then pick your color. I've seen this kit in all the colors you mentioned, and they all look great.

When you say the wheels and tires are a little tricky how so? 

The rear rims are not dished deep enough, so they look like cheap hubcaps. The fronts are ok. Moebius makes just a set of chrome wheels and tires that are much more realistic and fit this kit pretty easily for $15.00

The rear rims are not dished deep enough, so they look like cheap hubcaps. The fronts are ok. Moebius makes just a set of chrome wheels and tires that are much more realistic and fit this kit pretty easily for $15.00

Thanks. Will the Moebius set go in similarly to the set that I'm looking to replace?

The 1st truck was a simple remove an axle and shorten the frame. The I lowered by cutting the axle blocks off the leaf springs, then removing the rear shackles off the front spring. The rear, I cut 2 steps off the air bags then gently heated the spring at the forward hanger and brought it all back to sit against the frame. Then the stacks, bumper and visor are Rhino's Truck Parts on ebay. The rear fenders are cut down from a tandem one from P&P, they do not have right now.

The second one is stretched using some blank frame rails from Rhino. It is lowered the same way. The stacks and visor are also from Rhino, the bumper I made from stainless strip. The front fenders, I made the skirts from sheet styrene. I also made the chop panels on the doors from styrene and made the cab and sleeper drop panels from styrene angle. The rear fenders are from P&P also.

The last one, it's been chopped up pretty good. The sleeper was removed, day cab panel scratched up, the doors cut open, and the frame has been shortened and lowered even more to take away the gaps the low low pro tires would have, those are from Double Take Replicas. The cab lines have been massaged, the wing windows removed and the windshield altered slightly to give the Tim Ahlborn poor mans 379, I've come to call it a po boy 379. The 359 air cleaner cut out on the hood was filled in to run the intake under the hood like a 379. I switched the dash out for a newer styled dash, custom door panels, floor and ceiling with flames cut in them. The seat blocks were removed to allow me to mount the seats on the floor. The stacks, visor and bumper are again from Rhino. The air cleaners I'll be using are from an Italeri 378 kit. I still have a lot to do it, just no motivation.

Hope this info is what you were lookin for. If your wondering how I figured the wheel base, I just eyeballed it till it I thought it looked right. If you want more detailed info, I'll dig up the thread where I went into details.

Edited by Petetrucker07

Oh, just realized you were talkin about modifying the rims. The front rims, the mounting hole needs to be opened up some and the axle trimmed to get the rim and tire in the right position in the fender. The rear, I fill the hole with left over sprue and putty, let it sit for a couple days. I then drill it out to the size of the axle, which also needs to be trimmed down to get them in the right position. Hope this answers the question you asked.

How do you modify them? 

Oh, just realized you were talkin about modifying the rims. The front rims, the mounting hole needs to be opened up some and the axle trimmed to get the rim and tire in the right position in the fender. The rear, I fill the hole with left over sprue and putty, let it sit for a couple days. I then drill it out to the size of the axle, which also needs to be trimmed down to get them in the right position. Hope this answers the question you asked.

Okay got it. However is there any way to get the kit tires/wheels to work?

Not experienced enough to attempt to modify and use the Moebius tire/wheel kit so I guess I'll have to try and get the kit tires/wheels to work. Can this be done? I'll have to try. To me nothing was more trying than the AMT truck kit axles back in the day. I hated those metal axles I bent more of them than I care to count. Oh well if modeling was easy then everyone would do it.

JerseeJerry

It is possible. It just takes a little patience, sanding here and there. I've seen a few builds of this kit where the kit wheels and tires looked fine. Just take your time, I'm sure they'll come out great.

Okay got it. However is there any way to get the kit tires/wheels to work?

It is possible. It just takes a little patience, sanding here and there. I've seen a few builds of this kit where the kit wheels and tires looked fine. Just take your time, I'm sure they'll come out great.

Thanks I'm gonna try and get this to work. I guess you mean sanding the wheel backs to meet flush. I haven't opened the box yet.