Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mustang GT 500 Custom

Scale-Master

That looks like a sharp paint job on the car. I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's all done :D

STEVE ALLEN

Ditto X3 (so far)

Can't argue one bit.

Nice job on the rear window louvers

Very Gorgeous Paint job.

What have you all done to it so far?

What does the rear look like?

Thanks everyone!

The front and rear are pretty much stock. I've always thought the ends of the car looked good, but I did re-engineer the way the kit builds a little to make it easier to paint it and assemble it.

The rear fenders are pushed out at the fender peak line about 1/8 of an inch on each side. The car had great lines, but I'm putting some significant meat under the rear. Something in the range 18 X 14 wide rims, still being machined. Tires in the neighborhood of 385/60R18. Yeah, I know they probably don't exist in real, but then I'd never do this to a real GT 500 either.

The louvers are now molded in with glass under them. Besides some cleaning up of the body and trim, not much else was changed. It has stock running gear and probably a stock(ish) interior, haven't done much on that part yet, it still has to tell me what it wants...

The red paint is Tamiya Transparent Red over Mica Red over Bright Red over Gold. The clear is just two part urethane. The black is just Tamiya Black. More as it happens...

Looks great Mark. That paint is awesome. The bodywork under it looks excellent too.

The rear fenders remind me of a '69 GT500 which was running in a VARA race at Willow Springs a few years ago. The tube chassis under it was heavily short-track stock car equipped, but it had potential. It is the only 69-70 Shelby I've ever seen racing. There was another kind of similar 70 Mustang Sport Roof at another VARA race at Willow with a semi-tube chassis and similar big tires and fenders. It was being driven by Boris Said.

70Boss302modifiedfenders.jpg

I don't have any pics of the Shelby in the computer, they are on film and I would have to look through some boxes of pics to find and scan them.

Richard