Model Cars Magazine Forum

General Lee

O.K. gang, here's the deal.

A friend of mine wants me to build the Dukes of Hazard General Lee car to decorate her sons bedroom. With my limited building skills, I need to know the following.

1- What is the most simple kit to build?

2- Where can I find it?

3- What color is right.?

I know that I have seen some completed builds here, so someone will have the answers.

It might be heresy for me to suggest this on this forum, but, if all you need is a model to serve as a decoration for a child's bedroom, you might want to consider going with a pre-built diecast. It might not look quite as nice as a plastic model that you've built yourself, but, it won't break if Junior knocks it off his dresser, either. And, if Junior decides he wants to get it down and race it across his bedroom floor a few times, it'll stand up to that as well.

I just did an eBay and there are tons of General Lee diecasts available, in scales ranging from 1/64 to 1/18. If you wanted to go the extra mile and make one of them into a really nice-looking shelf model, you could do a little detail-painting, cover the trim with Bare-Metal Foil and present it to your friend in an attractive display case.

Just a thought!

i agree with my friend above there is a very decent 1/25 scale diecast of the 'general' with only an opening hood. NONE of the window trim has been done so you will need to paint or foil that and it already has the orange paint and the 01 on the doors the flag on the roof and the text above the windows. the only thing i do NOT know if it has the CNH 320 plate on the back bumper like the 1/18 scale has. I personally only have the 1/18 un assembled version that i put together and detailed the plain engine and engine bay and interior parts and put it together. there is also a 1/18 scale plastic general lee toy that looks as if it was made from the same molds as the amt/ertl die cast right down to the 'close but no cigar' rims and it has buttons on the back that make start up and reving sounds, the dixie horn, and a 'YEE HAW!' shout buy the duke boys. and the same company that makes the plastic general lee also has R/C versions one in 1/25 scale and one that is like 1/16 or even a tad bigger

Edited by Dave McFly

Thanks for the help guys.

Since her son is only 18mos old, I think that the car is more for her. :lol:

Since this won't be a "toy" for a year or two, I'm going with the plastic. I found the AMT kit with full decal set at Hobbylinc.com for $10.19. I have bought from them in the past and have been very satisfied. The always seem to have what I want at good prices.

Thanks again.

you can get the revell charger and get some genral lee decals from bugsys junkers

I did one that way and it looks nice, but it's a pain to sand off the vinyl top pattern on the roof. You'd also have to source the correct wheels from another kit.

It would save a lot of time using the AMT version, even if the rear window on that one is not correct.

Whatever you do, don't use Model master Lacquer Hemi Orange for the Dukes car. It's far too metallic for this application. Learned that one the hard way. Go with the solid orange color mentioned above.

Edited by Merkur XR4Ti

i heard that the latest version of the general lee kit that came out (one that was issued after the film came out but with the tv cast pictures on the box) has the correct window in the rear as it was using the 70 charger body that was in the fast and the furious charger kit. as the 70 charger has the same rear clip as the 69 you just need the 69's front grill and grille guard from the DOH kit. if you cannot find the latest 'general' kit let me know my hobby store has a few of them as well as 'daisy's jeep too.

I've been planning on building a super detailed General Lee for some years now. i'll get to it eventually, but to build an accurate General Lee here is what you'll need

Revell 69 Charger, for the grill, front bumper, rear bumper. and some parts here an there

Revell 68 Charger, for the body, since it doesn't have the molded in vinyl top.

AMT General Lee kit, for the decals, but I would recommend looking online and getting some, there is a decal maker who is making more realistic General Lee decals

IIRC Missing Link resin offers correct American Racing Vector wheels.

For the engine, they never really showed a good shot of the engine. but I would recommend seeing season 1, episode 4 entitled "Repo Men", they show a beat up Charger (which still exists BTW), and they show a very good shot of an engine, in which the Duke Boys would eventually get. thats the route that i'm planning on going with this kit, but the 440 from the kit would also be correct.

here's a link to the "Repo Men" Charger restoration that should help you no matter how you build it

Clink on the "Lee 1" link

but since your just building as a display. get the AMT kit. its not correct but for what you need it for it will work alot better then what I described. plus alot cheaper.

BTW, I am a HUGE Dukes of Hazzard fan

Edited by gasman

I've been planning on building a super detailed General Lee for some years now. i'll get to it eventually, but to build an accurate General Lee here is what you'll need

Revell 69 Charger, for the grill, front bumper, rear bumper. and some parts here an there

Revell 68 Charger, for the body, since it doesn't have the molded in vinyl top.

AMT General Lee kit, for the decals, but I would recommend looking online and getting some, there is a decal maker who is making more realistic General Lee decals

IIRC Missing Link resin offers correct American Racing Vector wheels.

For the engine, they never really showed a good shot of the engine. but I would recommend seeing season 1, episode 4 entitled "Repo Men", they show a beat up Charger (which still exists BTW), and they show a very good shot of an engine, in which the Duke Boys would eventually get. thats the route that i'm planning on going with this kit, but the 440 from the kit would also be correct.

here's a link to the "Repo Men" Charger restoration that should help you no matter how you build it

Clink on the "Lee 1" link

but since your just building as a display. get the AMT kit. its not correct but for what you need it for it will work alot better then what I described. plus alot cheaper.

BTW, I am a HUGE Dukes of Hazzard fan

Thanks Terry,

As you say, it's only for a kids room display.

I appreciate you guys who go to great pains to replicate actual cars. However, my building pleasure comes from just building what comes in the kit. Fixed income does not allow for much after market stuf, let alone buying several kits to produce one model.

I found the AMT kit with full decal set at Hobbylink for $10.19 so that will have to do.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Terry,

As you say, it's only for a kids room display.

I appreciate you guys who go to great pains to replicate actual cars. However, my building pleasure comes from just building what comes in the kit. Fixed income does not allow for much after market stuf, let alone buying several kits to produce one model.

I found the AMT kit with full decal set at Hobbylink for $10.19 so that will have to do.

O.K. guys,

I got the AMT kit complete with a full decal set. I also got the 69 Charger die cast by Maisto. The die cast is much more detailed than I'm capable of but is not consistant withe the General Lee. Wrong engine, interior bucket, external rear view mirrors, no roll cage etc...

I would like to use the basic die cast body and the AMT engine and interior but have no clue as to how to go about it. Any suggestions?