Model Cars Magazine Forum

1978 Dodge Adventurer Crew Cab

Dave...I have to try and make one too but you know why already....sorry about your search for a Dodge Aspen...I have wanted to make a replica of a Aspen R/T for some time now.

Yeah Mark I didn't know the Aspen was never made. IF I can gat a Volare I can change it to an Aspen. The Aspen was the first American car I ever drove. It was a 318ci car with straight through pipes . It was very loud and quick.   

Yeah Mark I didn't know the Aspen was never made. IF I can gat a Volare I can change it to an Aspen. The Aspen was the first American car I ever drove. It was a 318ci car with straight through pipes . It was very loud and quick.   

Dave...That is cool.  I thought they made a promo of one once...???   Id like to make a Aspen R/T...it was one of the cars we owned once...ours was a 360ci..? with a 4 speed...nice...!

Well I have just come out of the paint shop after repriming the body and bed . The bed is fine but the cab still needs some more work . Mainly around the door frames . Its not much but it will be a pain to get right as I have to get the door gaps scribed strait . One side is a bit wonky <_<

I have used layers of pinstripe tape to help me get the lines more straight before...it helps Dave.

Thanks Mark I will give it a go but I'm not to good at scribing. :unsure:

I've used the tape along with a razor saw and/or the corner of a needle file to make a straight channel for the actual scribing tool to follow. My latest effort went well, in spite of my so-so scribing ability.

• 2 weeks later...

Still working up the courage to tackle the scribing :unsure:  I have re filled the bits that needed doing. I think I will practice on an old body first before jumping in on the Dodge

-Can't say I blame ya much on trying on a beat up body rather then the Dodge truck cab, you Sir, have a LOT of body work tied up in that cab alone!

And its still ongoing John..! After flatting the roof down AGAIN I found that it was not as flat as I had hoped for. There is a distinct hump in the middle that will need sanding out . But I think that the plasticard that I put on the roof to bridge the gap is creating the bulge. So I may have to remove it ...! We will see :wacko: 

Got a BIG say, 8 inch "Bastard File"????? That take the hump out from that added piece and then just smooth with higher grit sand paper, to take out any scratches (I use my files A LOT!) Machinist ones you name it, I have everything from #1's all the way to #4's and precision Jeweler's files! They also if held right, keep the surface "true flat", (even looking) when done! BUT if you use a file, file SLOWLY as it can take a lot off the surface if not careful! Sandpaper does this slowly, files do it rapidly.... Body work however I found file in ONE direction only.... the back & forth method makes serious scratches where they aren't needed or wanted!

Got a BIG say, 8 inch "Bastard File"????? That take the hump out from that added piece and then just smooth with higher grit sand paper, to take out any scratches (I use my files A LOT!) Machinist ones you name it, I have everything from #1's all the way to #4's and precision Jeweler's files! They also if held right, keep the surface "true flat", (even looking) when done! BUT if you use a file, file SLOWLY as it can take a lot off the surface if not careful! Sandpaper does this slowly, files do it rapidly.... Body work however I found file in ONE direction only.... the back & forth method makes serious scratches where they aren't needed or wanted!

Thanks John I will give it a try :D At this point I will try anything its doing my head in :wacko:

Be sure if your file is or has been used ALL or any metal chips are removed from its "teeth" those little suckers will mar the ever-loving !@#$ outta the surrounding surfaces while your filing that hump down! A wire brush will remove most of that if not all of it.....

Be sure if your file is or has been used ALL or any metal chips are removed from its "teeth" those little suckers will mar the ever-loving !@#$ outta the surrounding surfaces while your filing that hump down! A wire brush will remove most of that if not all of it.....

Thanks john will do :P

Dave,

great lookin.love the work your a doin on this.I use to drive my bosses around to pick up other cars. (with a trailer).I'm with a on the 4x4 thing.I'm putting parts together for a couple dodges and Chev's.I'll keep watching this..nice work......Chris