Model Cars Magazine Forum

Getting back into model building and trying airbrushing

Hi all. I'm getting back into model car building again from taking a long break.  I've been watching a lot of how to videos on lowering, airbrushing and building . This is all new to me I'm used to doing models with just brushing paint on. Lol. I just bought the paasche H set and the paasche VLS SET.  I'm having a few problems first of all is I airbrush the model primer, paint but when I go to glue it together the glue takes the paint off.  I'm using the Tamiya extra thin cement, testors liquid cement with the needle and also in the tube and also the clear parts cement. Also trying to do paint the interiors 2 different colors and brushing just doesn't look right I'd like to airbrush it but masking is hard and also the underbody. Like the frame would like to do in aluminum and the rest black any ideas of masking or a way to airbrush 2 tone interior or underbody.  Also some of the kits I would like to lower and some raise. For example I'm doing the Nissan GT-R 35 pure edition kit and would like to lower it. Also doing the 67 Mickey Camarillo RS/SS 427.   Any help would be appreciated or tips and tricks for gluing and making interior look nice. There are some photos to kind of show my set up and what I'm working on

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Try to remove some paint first with the back of a modeling knife and/or 400-grit sandpaper.

I usually use Plasti-Kote automotive primer, #s T-235 and T-237, the sandable white and grey. Works well, very economical. I prefer it over Dupli-Color, which is "hotter" chemically and tends to create problems from my experience. 

Charlie Larkin

Ok thanks. I've been looking all over at stores around here and can't find plasti-kote probably have to order it online. I've used dupli-color primer grey and have black also on the orange model in the picture. For the airbrush I got some of the createx paints. I got the sealer white and sealer black but haven't used cause from what I've read everyone uses rattle can.  Also one video I watched the guy used testors model master enamel gloss top coat to glue some parts together. Ever heard of using that?  

I'm also getting used to which color primer for which paint. Like I have a pearl white I would like to use so would I use a white primer or a grey?  Like I said I'm new to the airbrushing so any help would be appreciated. 

Ill try the scraping of the paint where I'm going to glue it though

You've bought the very same airbrushes i use, I've got many airbrushes, but these two, along with the Passche F1, are the one's i use all the time.

Masking the interior takes time, but well worth it, get yourself some Tamiya masking tapes in 6 & 10mm, ha e a look at some of my builds on here and on my website, it should, hopefully give you a few tips on how to do the masking