Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cars for Kids

While cruising this section of our forum, I stumbled on a thread "Model car purchases" by "Carl M". It's not really what it sounds like. Carl is trying to acquire some finished model cars to be placed in the rooms of kids going through long term hospital care. When released, the kids would be able to take them home. Carl hasn't the time nor skills to build them all so he is willing to buy them. I think that we can do better than that. I'm shipping two this weekend. I hope that some of you will join be. He has posted his email on the thread if you want additional information. Please check it out.

Milt thanks for your words. ;)

I wasn't sure the best way to post this topic. Although I don't build cars myself, I did try it once and remember all to well how tough it is. So to that end, I understand how much pride you guys all take in your work and how much time is spent on each car. Along with that, through my brief visits through the site, I can tell you guys really do some fantastic work. I looked at some of the pictures and couldn't believe model cars could look so...real. :blink:

At any rate, like Milt mentioned my goal was to purchase some for a friend of mine named Rachel. She works as a nurse in the Children's Ward of a hospital in Grand Rapids, MI. She had this idea about adding some color to the kids rooms during their stay. I though back to when I was a kid and had model cars on my shelves. It gave my room the "All American" look.

She figures the idea is good because the car will be something they can take home WHEN they recover from the disease they are fighting. Once that car reaches the shelf in their real room, it can not only serve as a reminder of the battle they won, but also serve as a conversation piece among family friends. She mentioned the idea to some of the boys in her section, and their eyes lit up. As did a couple of the girls... ;)

Like I said, although am trying to find my way in the work world...interning....bah ;) and don't profess to be rich, I do waste a lot of my money on things like movies, going out to eat, and the occasional drink. So rather than waste my money on that stuff, I might as well put it to good use. Thus my willingness to BUY the cars.

As I posted before, you can e-mail me at ole_miss_law@live.com or PM me with questions and or prices. I can shoot you my phone number as well. (not sure if I am allowed to post that on this site :blink: some law forums I'm in don't allow that kind of information their boards).

Thanks again Milt - seems like you have a great community here, and the work you guys do - just incredible.

Warmest Regards,

Carl McCarthy

Edited by Carl_M

Carl,

This is a GREAT idea!! I really like it!! Send me a PM with Rachel's full name and mailing address. I will gladly donate a couple of built cars! I can also send some kits, if needed!

And...good luck getting anyone here to sell you anything for this cause. Most of the folks on this forum won't take money for a great cause like this, but they'll gladly donate practically anything you need.

Regards,

Edited by Raul_Perez

Carl,

This is a GREAT idea!! I really like it!! Send me a PM with Rachel's full name and mailing address. I will gladly donate a couple of built cars! I can also send some kits, if needed!

And...good luck getting anyone here to sell you anything for this cause. Most of the folks on this forum won't take money for a great cause like this, but they'll gladly donate practically anything you need.

Regards,

well since hes in

and i really am a good guy ask george53 i could send some of my biglots kits there

as raul said hit me up with an addy and all required info and ill send some kits there

Fellas,

First off, I sent you guys both PM's as you had indicated.

But I want to say thank you as well for your interest in this project. Again, I'd be more than happy to purchase some built cars if need be.

It takes a lot to give of yourself for the benefit of others. Typically people only do things for self promotion or self glory. Just to do it to be kind to someone else...that's rare. You guys are awesome.

Thanks again. :D

Carl McCarthy

Fellas,

First off, I sent you guys both PM's as you had indicated.

But I want to say thank you as well for your interest in this project. Again, I'd be more than happy to purchase some built cars if need be.

It takes a lot to give of yourself for the benefit of others. Typically people only do things for self promotion or self glory. Just to do it to be kind to someone else...that's rare. You guys are awesome.

Thanks again. :D

Carl McCarthy

im down to help anyone

it doesnt help my ego one bit i actually check it at the door when it comes to this kind of stuff

so thank you for actually pulling me away from my ego

Hey guys,

I knew that you would respond, and I hope that others will.

After a few PMs with Carl, I have a little more info. Kids are from 8-13. The hospital staff would not look kindly on craft knives or paint since most of the kids are really beat after chemo sessions. However, that being said, color molded snap kits might be a good choice if you don't want to send completed models. Just a thought.

Lets get our friends on the band wagon. I can't think of a better place to put one of my models.

I'll send these two. The first is a Revell '40 Ford convertible hotrod.

DSC04672-vi.jpg

The second one is a Revell '32 Ford Highboy.

DSC04665-vi.jpg

I'll get them in the mail this weekend.

Thanks for making us aware of what your friend is trying to do with the kids.

Regards,

ok im in im bringing complete one off items to this

heres what i have right now

2 99 mitsues

3 94 impalas

and a red barron to the sickest one of the bunch it might bring him around

and im not done yet

Kevin,

1) I'm very proud of your effort!

2) Let me know how much you spend on shipping and I'll help you out.

Regards,

Kevin,

1) I'm very proud of your effort!

2) Let me know how much you spend on shipping and I'll help you out.

Regards,

wow thanks bro are you sure you want to do that bro

what are you planning on doing?

the first one to go to the kids

a ferrari 612

DSCN0534.jpg

DSCN0533.jpg

DSCN0532.jpg

DSCN0529.jpg

the 2nd

DSCN0422.jpg

and there is more to come

Edited by evilone

Milt, Kevin, Raul...

You guys are incredible. Look I'd be more than happy to pay for anything you need. I will gladly pay you for your kits or shipping or paint, or anything.

Rachel was blown away by the support for her idea...simply shocked. She is going to be getting on to the site and signing up. She almost cried. Guys you have no idea what it means. I never expected....

Carl

Milt, Kevin, Raul...

You guys are incredible. Look I'd be more than happy to pay for anything you need. I will gladly pay you for your kits or shipping or paint, or anything.

Rachel was blown away by the support for her idea...simply shocked. She is going to be getting on to the site and signing up. She almost cried. Guys you have no idea what it means. I never expected....

Carl

well they say that i am always full of surprises tell her not to cry too much in the end she will become dehydrated

also tell her to regester here we might make this a yearly thing :(

Milt, Kevin, Raul...

Carl

Carl,

Honestly, thanks for the offer, but it's more trouble for you to send a check for $20 for a kit and shipping than it's worth for me to have to drive down to the bank to cash it. :(

Besides, this gives me a great avenue to route some of the finished models that I'm tired of looking at when it's time to make room for new ones. :lol:

Regards,

Here's a side thought.

These kids might become fellow model builders. Some of the treatments that they go through leave them unable to participate in a lot of activities, at least for a while. As you all know, what we do can be started and stopped whenever we feel like it.

I know that some 8 year old will see my builds and say "heck, I can do that". :(

Just a thought.

Here's a side thought.

These kids might become fellow model builders. Some of the treatments that they go through leave them unable to participate in a lot of activities, at least for a while. As you all know, what we do can be started and stopped whenever we feel like it.

I know that some 8 year old will see my builds and say "heck, I can do that". :(

Just a thought.

true that is why im planning on sending some unbuilt kits under the rules that the elders deal with the xactos and the paint

Milt thanks for your words. :rolleyes:

I wasn't sure the best way to post this topic. Although I don't build cars myself, I did try it once and remember all to well how tough it is. So to that end, I understand how much pride you guys all take in your work and how much time is spent on each car. Along with that, through my brief visits through the site, I can tell you guys really do some fantastic work. I looked at some of the pictures and couldn't believe model cars could look so...real. :lol:

At any rate, like Milt mentioned my goal was to purchase some for a friend of mine named Rachel. She works as a nurse in the Children's Ward of a hospital in Grand Rapids, MI. She had this idea about adding some color to the kids rooms during their stay. I though back to when I was a kid and had model cars on my shelves. It gave my room the "All American" look.

She figures the idea is good because the car will be something they can take home WHEN they recover from the disease they are fighting. Once that car reaches the shelf in their real room, it can not only serve as a reminder of the battle they won, but also serve as a conversation piece among family friends. She mentioned the idea to some of the boys in her section, and their eyes lit up. As did a couple of the girls... :rolleyes:

Like I said, although am trying to find my way in the work world...interning....bah -_- and don't profess to be rich, I do waste a lot of my money on things like movies, going out to eat, and the occasional drink. So rather than waste my money on that stuff, I might as well put it to good use. Thus my willingness to BUY the cars.

As I posted before, you can e-mail me at ole_miss_law@live.com or PM me with questions and or prices. I can shoot you my phone number as well. (not sure if I am allowed to post that on this site :lol: some law forums I'm in don't allow that kind of information their boards).

Thanks again Milt - seems like you have a great community here, and the work you guys do - just incredible.

Warmest Regards,

Carl McCarthy

i say scam... i dunno, maybe its just me but too many scams on the internets..... anything been verified? they are new people to the forums....

you could have at least named the hospital......

we've had it happen over at the Layitlow forums....

http://www.layitlow.com/forums/index.php?s...377690&st=0

these people asking for these things say they wanna pay but know people will do anything for "poor sick kids" with "expensive medical bills" there are a lot of real programs out there to help kids in need.... what hospital are these kids at?

we've had it happen over at the Layitlow forums....

http://www.layitlow.com/forums/index.php?s...377690&st=0

these people asking for these things say they wanna pay but know people will do anything for "poor sick kids" with "expensive medical bills" there are a lot of real programs out there to help kids in need.... what hospital are these kids at?

This isn't a layitlow forum. What the hell kind of a grinch are you?