Model Cars Magazine Forum

1963 Avanti #3 for me,

Clay

Yes this is #3 in the Avanti field for me. I have a few 2 others in progress but, I am not willing to attack them yet.

Anyway, I got the paint laid on the body and frame. I was going for a Salt flat car like Raul's but I decided to do a more street version.

1963StudebakerAvantiSaltFlat001.jpg

1963StudebakerAvantiSaltFlat002.jpg

1963StudebakerAvantiSaltFlat003.jpg

1963StudebakerAvantiSaltFlat004.jpg

1963StudebakerAvantiSaltFlat005.jpg

I am not going for a stock look here so I am gonna try to lower my first model here. I chose a set of wheels from a 66 chevelle wagon kit and I have the blessing from Raul that they look good, and hell I think they look good so I am gonna use them. Of course I aill try to detail them so it isnt just a chrome piece there.

StreetAvanti.jpg

Edited by jones_clayton

...and I have the blessing from Raul that they look good, and hell I think they look good so I am gonna use them...

Now that there is some seriously funny stuff!! :lol::lol: Have you and Bernard been working together to get me to laugh? ;)

But, yes, I do like them! :P

This one will look really cool sitting next to your salt flat Stude in a couple of weeks!!

Keep up the good work, my young friend!! :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

ok I got a little work done with the suspension on this thing. I put the stock suspension on and saw that the wheels would stick out a little too much for my taste, so I decided to use the suspension from the same kit the wheels and tires came from, 66 Chevelle Wagon, I also might be using the engine from the kit as well because as most of you know the newer Avantis have LS engines in them.

Enough of talk here are the 2 pictures, don't worry I will have more later this week.

I had to take a little off the axles for the tires to actually be under the car.

StreetAvanti6.jpg

And I did some trimming on the front crossmember from the chevelle kit.

StreetAvanti7.jpg

I know its not perfect, but I am just seeing what I can do.

Thanks for looking.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I was sitting here, listening to the wife complain about pains (:)) Ha, anyway. I thought I would get some work done to my Avanti. I got the emblems shaved on the body, and curved the body lines, not a fan of the straight lines. I need some more flat black paint to do the frame. I also got the engine almost done. just need to put the accesories on the front and get the wiring done. This will be the first model I try the brass rods for hinges. Also gonna paint the rims Gun Metal. Sorry no pictures, camera died. Will post pics later though.

Well I was sitting here, listening to the wife complain about pains ( :rolleyes: ) Ha, anyway. I thought I would get some work done to my Avanti. I got the emblems shaved on the body, and curved the body lines, not a fan of the straight lines. I need some more flat black paint to do the frame. I also got the engine almost done. just need to put the accesories on the front and get the wiring done. This will be the first model I try the brass rods for hinges. Also gonna paint the rims Gun Metal. Sorry no pictures, camera died. Will post pics later though.

I can't wait to see how you do on the hinges!! Good luck, my young friend!!

Ok the Sunburst Orange wasnt working for me, so off it goes, with the badging.

StreetAvanti001.jpg

StreetAvanti002.jpg

StreetAvanti003.jpg

StreetAvanti005.jpg

And looky Raul, I think I got the hood working. Havent had much luck with the door hinges. I got one side though.

Closed

StreetAvanti006.jpg

Open

StreetAvanti007.jpg

I havent decided on a color yet. I was thinking GTX Blue, but I dont have any ;)

More to come at a later date.

Thanks for looking and comments are welcome.

ALL RIGHT!! Great job getting the hood hinge done!!

Yes, the door hinges are a little bit trickier in getting the door to clear the fender, but no different than how you did the hood.

Keep up the GREAT work and email me if you need any help!!

You may not realize this guys, but do you know that the tourquose that Tamya has is a pretty close match for the colos Studebaker offered in 63. I was in body work for years and I wanted such a car when it was shown at Mc George Studebaker at Belvedere and Broad street here in Richmond Virginia Ed Shaver

You may not realize this guys, but do you know that the tourquose that Tamya has is a pretty close match for the colos Studebaker offered in 63. I was in body work for years and I wanted such a car when it was shown at Mc George Studebaker at Belvedere and Broad street here in Richmond Virginia Ed Shaver

I did not know that. I will have to look at that. Thanks.

These door hinges are fighting me tooth and nail, but I think I won. I will post pics as soon as the glue is dry.

Well...I never said that they were easy, I just said that they're better than the plastic ones that come in the kit. :lol:

You did great on the hood hinge, and yes, it was the easier one for me, too. The doors take a bit more work, but the end result is worth the extra effort!!

Later,

That glue is bound to be dry by now!! lol

Sorry I went to sleep, but before that one of the hinges came off and the was a problem with the drivers side door not seating properly. Might have to do that one over again.

ok I think I got the hinges worked out, but I laid on the first coat of huggar orange before I could take pics.

anyway the rod on the door skin is still drying so it will be a few days.

Uploading a few pics now.

StreetAvanti008.jpg

StreetAvanti009.jpg

StreetAvanti010.jpg

StreetAvanti011.jpg

StreetAvanti012.jpg

Edited by jones_clayton

Wow, this is turning out great, I like it. :lol: When I first saw the hood I though it was turbo or something, you know with the scoop or "buldge" on one side, but anywho, looking real cool......now......this or Rauls? :lol::D

its mine Nick, jeez :lol:

It will have twin super chargers on it

Still waiting on you to build one Nick.

Edited by jones_clayton

ohhh goody goody! :lol:

well when are you gonna build one?

Come ot think of it, I dont recall seeing anything you've built. Unless I am mistaken.

Nevermind, I saw a few in underglass from you.

Edited by jones_clayton