Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scaled part sizes

I'm trying to ramp up my detailing skills and at the same time venture into some minimal scratch building. I need some help on scale sizing. B)

Wire gauges for:

Plug wires

Battery wires

Starter wires

Misc, lights, alternator, etc...

Fuel lines

Brake lines

Dimensions for:

Coils

Voltage regulators

And any other items that a beginner might try.

There are a finite number of possiblities depending on make, model, year and use... just start grabbing yourself a hand full of the smallest wire, thread, and line you can find and play around with it until it "looks" right.

I have not been able to readily find small enough gauge wire for a lot of things and have mostly resorted to DM wire. For larger stuff I have a selection of "hanging" wire found in most hardware stores.

A good selection of Evergreen plastic is handy to have around when building.

Plug wires are around 30 gauge (29-31 gauge should be ok) Plug boots, use battery cable for those, around 26 Gauge. Or you can use shrink tubing..look for 3/64 dia, for the boots.

I'm still looking for a solid source for multi colored plug wires..without paying the premium price from the hobby retailers.. i don't want the radioshack kind, but a flexible low memory wire, much like the ones psf or arrowhead hobbies sell, anyone got a source? to buy in long lengths/spool

The starter wires will usually be about the same size as battery cables, around 26 gauge.

common "detail" wire for speed o's or wiring harness/wiper motors would be around 35 gauge or smaller. Once you get to 40 gauge, there usually isnt any vinyl coating, but a lacquer

Your best bet is to find a fly tying shop (fishing). They actually have a very good selection for fine wires and thread that are useful for doing detail work. They also have other tools and assorted products that would work for making detailed pieces.