Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testors decal paper

I just bought a packet of six decal papers from Testors. Pull out the instructions and they're in every language but English. What do I have to know to use this paper? I bought a 6 pack of white paper.

MODEL STUFF- TESTORS DECAL PAPER.jpg

Edited by Jon Cole

I've only used them a couple times, but it's not too hard...

Basically, you print your design to the highest quality possible, like printing a photo. Let it dry completely, for a couple days actually is best. Spray it with some sort of sealer... I'm sorry I can't remember what to use... Let that dry for a couple days. Cut it, dunk it, stick it... That's really all there is to it. It does take a little trial and error, but if I can do it, anybody can. I'll try to hunt up what to use as a sealer tonight after I get home.

Edited by KWT

Testors decal sealer smells, looks and acts just like good old Testors Dullcote (flat clear lacquer). Which is probably exactly what it is.  For making decals, I've used the Testors decal sealer, Dullcote, and also Krylon's Flat Clear Acrylic.  All worked well.

Whatever sealer you use, just be careful to apply it in very thin coats. Otherwise it will melt the ink and make your decals run. Don't ask how I know this...

Testors decal sealer smells, looks and acts just like good old Testors Dullcote (flat clear lacquer).

Yes, it does. The cans I've used of it were a little more like their old Glosscote, as it left a glossy finish.

Agreed on the thin coats. I don't have to ask how you know, I did the same thing ;).

Another tip, black seems to "crack" when the ink dries. Thin lines or lettering doesn't do it so bad, but large black areas do. To help avoid this, try making large black areas either a very dark blue or a very dark gray. I know this may sound weird, but that slight shift in color to a blue or gray seems to eliminate the cracking issue.