Model Cars Magazine Forum

24 HRS of Le Mans Group Build

Jhedir6

With the 24 HRS of Le Mans this Saturday, I've decided I'm going to do a 24hr build, much like the FB group does for the 24hr of Daytona. I'll post updates here throughout the day and night and anyone else who will be watching and would like to join, feel free. Post your pics up here.

I know there are guys that get together over the weekend for this, but I dont really know anyone in my area that builds so I'm doing it online. Everyone and anyone is welcome to participate.

If anyone else feels like adding their names to the list PM me and I'll add your name so people scanning the thread can see who is participating. PM me your build choice too, if you know what you want to build. Any subject matter is fine, does not have to be a race car or even a car for that matter.

Rules:

1: New unstarted kit. You can dechrome parts, wash them. Up to 4 parts can be pre added to the body.

2: Kit should be painted, a 5min snapper isnt in the spirit of the "contest" and its just for fun so not really a contest.

3: Box stock, or you can customize, but remember the time frame, Start of the race to the end of the race, pending on your time zone.

4: Cant remember any more right now, but its just for fun. So build something.

Entry List

1: Jhedir6-- Fujimi Mercedes Benz SLS AMG GT3

2: Amar2300- Tamiya Toyota GT-One TS020

3: da_ashman- Fujimi McLaren F1LM

The race begins at 3pm (1500hrs), France time,  on Saturday June 17th. For those unsure what time that will be for you can do the conversion HERE.

Edited by Jhedir6

Great Idea!!! I'd love to join ya, but sadly being on the opposite side of the world the race starts 1am on Sunday & then Ive got work on Monday, I dont think I could get one done in less than a day., but I'll give it a go! 

I've got a McLaren F1LM I want to build, so perfect opportunity! Its a Fujimi Kit & simplified quite a bit. I was gonna go hard & CF everything but I dont think I'll have time for that!

Great Idea!!! I'd love to join ya, but sadly being on the opposite side of the world the race starts 1am on Sunday & then Ive got work on Monday, I dont think I could get one done in less than a day., but I'll give it a go! 

I've got a McLaren F1LM I want to build, so perfect opportunity! Its a Fujimi Kit & simplified quite a bit. I was gonna go hard & CF everything but I dont think I'll have time for that!

Welcome Ash. Get what you can done. Its just for fun and to pass the time while the cars go around the track.

It's 2am NZ Time, 1 hour of the race down & ive started already. I did make a few mods yesterday, I wanted to open the engine bay windows & had to remove the moulded in electrical units in the right hand interior. So did some filling & primer to check my work.

IMG_8213.JPG

IMG_8214.JPG

IMG_8215.JPG

It's 2am NZ Time, 1 hour of the race down & ive started already. I did make a few mods yesterday, I wanted to open the engine bay windows & had to remove the moulded in electrical units in the right hand interior. So did some filling & primer to check my work.

IMG_8213.JPG

IMG_8214.JPG

B)

Nice start. i really look forward to se how it comes along.

so almost 2 hour now. This is what i got so far.

Box content

IMG_5018.thumb.JPG.0c47a4d3b3be1898c5d4e

PE Parts

IMG_5020.thumb.JPG.e620387c8f0e2f17d14b5

I did wash the parts and did some gluing on engine and body parts

IMG_5021.thumb.JPG.6af335ba12591ccd64643

IMG_5022.thumb.JPG.a1f0d61160ce185bb5ff9

Painted some PE parts

IMG_5023.thumb.JPG.060a253f1940269df536cIMG_5023.thumb.JPG.060a253f1940269df536c

I also dechrome the turbos headers and exhaust

IMG_5024.thumb.JPG.90033d93263c6365ce647

Got some paint on the shell. so in about 30-40 min it will get 1 coat of  clear..

IMG_5026.JPG

IMG_5027.JPG

IMG_5028.JPG

Wow, it takes me that long to get the box open. And thanks to noisy neighbor going to work and pack of hungry cats actually got the computer onto Radio Le Mans in time to catch the aftermath of the Toyota shunt on lap 2. Only freebie video I can find is on Fordperformance. com They're streaming their in-car cameras and from the garage. Beats nothing. No tv, no cable except internet. Its almost nap time, so need to herd the cats in.

Wow, it takes me that long to get the box open. And thanks to noisy neighbor going to work and pack of hungry cats actually got the computer onto Radio Le Mans in time to catch the aftermath of the Toyota shunt on lap 2. Only freebie video I can find is on Fordperformance. com They're streaming their in-car cameras and from the garage. Beats nothing. No tv, no cable except internet. Its almost nap time, so need to herd the cats in.

Wayne, Eurosport is live streaming https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrM65PWsuAI they have commercials, about a mins worth every 20 or so, but its free.

Jeez Rene, you've got colour on already? Nice progress. I'm letting my primer set up right now for a bit, then I'll get my first base coat down. Off to take the dogs out then back to the booth. 

Looking forward to more guys.

David

Hey David. I was sitting for 2½ maybe 3 hours yesterday planning my build. what to paint first, how to divide all the pieces in colour.

So today it was just, cut the parts from sprue, clean them, wash them, divide them, paint basecoat.:)

But after 3½ hours it is still just the body that got paint on it:(

Jhedir6, Thanks!! Thought I'd tried that site earlier, probably too early...for me. 

And hey I did get some work done on rebuilding the steering wheel on the Heller Renault 4CV today.

You're welcome.

Paint update. Most of the painting done. I have a small goof on the body to fix then mask it and paint the secondary colour. Parts are resting in the paintbooth while I take the dog for a walk and get some fresh air. I'll do the fix when I get back and start on some decals. Colours used in the front. Scale Finishes primer, black, flat black, with Flying Lizards silver base and red accent (not done yet) with some Gravity Colors Ford Grabber Blue for the brakes and mirrors and some OZ gunmetal for the wheels.

20170617_132255_zpsrqigcqsz.jpg

Edited by Jhedir6

Paint on the body is fix, just letting it cure up before masking it for the secondary colour. I'm going to be using the following decals to make a "phantom racer", even though its an actual Le Mans livery, it's a Porsche livery and not a Merc one, but I'm going to use it anyways.

20170617_144227_zpswyh68jx6.jpg

Paint on the body is fix, just letting it cure up before masking it for the secondary colour. I'm going to be using the following decals to make a "phantom racer", even though its an actual Le Mans livery, it's a Porsche livery and not a Merc one, but I'm going to use it anyways.

20170617_144227_zpswyh68jx6.jpg

i can't wait to se that livery on... really cool.

I painted all the black pieces, so there are soon ready for some detailing.

IMG_5030.thumb.JPG.805bc4382a9a5a6fba2e4

I started to put on some decals but i made a bu-bu on the nose ESSO decal:( After putting on some micro-sol i scratched it with my nail. So.... no nose decal.

IMG_5031.thumb.JPG.e84d15ca8d5071fd95214

IMG_5032.thumb.JPG.cd14e0b4367a3c1ecdfb1

Thanks Rene. Working on masking, since the decals are for a Porsche and not a Merc I'm having to go slow to get things masked properly. 

Great work on the GT-One, looking fantastic. Looking forward to seeing more soon.