Model Cars Magazine Forum

Body filler

Last for 10 years or more, that's not bad. Its just I don't use much of the stuff, so probably just stick with my plastic goop I mix up with some sprue and mek. At the tectonic movement rate I work there's no problem with out-gassing time. Probably why I've never had any problem with cracking.

I have a few die casts I bought for reworking that's why I was curious about the epoxy primer.

Diecast has it's own issues. Sealing it really helps. Depending on what Zamak was used, will determine if it reacts with itself. If you look on some diecast forums, you'll see diecast cancer as a topic. There was an issue in China with Zamak and it became very expensive in short order. To meet budgets, they sub'd Zamak II instead of the better III. The II contained more copper. This did not get along with aluminum and galvanic corrosion would occur. New pennies have this issue, if you've noticed. In some instances the parts would just crumble. Diecast cars are not painted like we paint them as hobbyists. Paint comes down a spinning cylinder as parts twirl on a tree in a large room.  If you put an eye loupe on a paint job, you can see how porous it is. Moisture gets in, reacts and starts the corrosive process.

I've repainted many diecasts and epoxy would be a good choice. It's expensive, about $25 a can, so I would line up my projects to maximize the can yield before it goes bad. You usually get a 48 hour window once you push that red button. I have used etching primer with a coat of a sealer primer. Etch doesn't like black paint and will craze it over time. You need that barrier. I have cars painted in acrylic lacquer and in urethanes and they are holding up great! However, they were painted the conventional way we do it. Better surface seal.

As for my street creds, I was a design manager at the Franklin Mint. Any questions when you get to doing them, please feel free to PM me. Be happy to share.

Thanks George! Figured if I ever get to them, that stripping and priming several at a time would be the way to go. I knew about the diecast cancer but hoping it won't be much of a problem. Most of the ones I have are older Burago or Polistol pre-China era. And now that 2CV kits are available don't have to do that one. Like I said I work at slow pace. Thanks for the tip on etch with black paint although don't think I had any planned for black.