Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Porsche 911 (996) GT3, 4/12/2017 almost done! PIC HEAVY!

JeroenM3

My intention is not to spam all you guys with tons and tons of builds, its just i got alot of time at the moment, and therefore spend alot of time building (beats sitting behind the TV or anything like that in my opinion, and its more productive too ;) ). However i do like to document my builds, for myself, but also for other people to enjoy and pickup some idea's for their own builds (hopefully).

This Porsche GT3 im building for my dad as a Xmas gift, my mom is getting the Jag MK2, and my dad a Porsche as hes a Porsche guy ;).

Like the title says its a 996 generation of the 911, this was the very first 911 series they build with a watercooled engine, and is still considered as the "purest" GT3 that porsche has build to date without any electronic "angels" as i call them. Making it a real "man's car".

The car is curbside kit, which is a shame for a Tamiya kit, all other ones i have so far were with a full detail (the SARD Supra being an exception to this but had a cool interior to do). So no engine to build for this except what you can see from under the car just like in real life. 

Here goes:

For the real GT3's the whole undercarriage is painted in the body color says the instructions, i thought this aswell, but luckily an old class mate of mine actually has one of these (and every other gen of GT3 (rs)'s the lucky sod!) and asked him to take some pic's of the undercarriage to see if this is correct (it is) and some other details for my build.

oeZDYZo.jpg

Engine area done:

HttSWSB.jpg

Front drivetrain in, made a little mistake with putting it in, as i glued the topmounts into the chassis, thus preventing the wheels to turn in either direction (still need to fix that):

5hy0eQ7.jpg

Protective guards on:

8zKk6YR.jpg

side view of the undercarriage with the brakes in (yes the callipers seem different colors, only difference is on the back (right in the pic) its done straight onto the black plastic, on the front (left in pic) ive layed down a white layer first:

jTYvm18.jpg

1st wetcoat on (pic taken directly after the coat went on):

xIBY3ih.jpg

sWkHDGq.jpg

2nd (and final) wetcoat on (pic taken after 30 min of dry time approx.)

DouOwMg.jpg

Ctl2Hpt.jpg

mK9lvme.jpg

Velvet carpet laid down in the back (need to make the "center" piece fit a little better, any idea's?) , with the metal GT3 badge, sadly not really able to see it on there but ow well:

X9f2wUw.jpg

Gave the seats some color, as i hate full black interiors, sadly due to the 1st layer being yellow, and the tape being yellow, i missed a small part on both seats:(:

FrcMcst.jpg

9twnJJz.jpg

Made some "custom" carpets for the front from the velvet sheet leftovers, turned out pretty good if you ask me:

QVWTwBZ.jpg

qCbTCyn.jpg

Thats it for now, more to follow soon!

Edited by JeroenM3

• 2 weeks later...

So, almost done with this build, all i have left to do is respray the rear spoiler. Sadly some of the glue came from between the 2 parts and got on the paint, final result ruined it so need to redo it.

The rest of the body is done! and i put it completely together, i just realized i took these pictures before putting the final stickers/decals on...

Body complete:

XcsuBuw.jpg

yJB5OEj.jpg

And here its mounted on the chassis:

ygzOxpM.jpg

j93n4i5.jpg

01BbqUL.jpg

I just realized that going with a brush over a body thats already in clear doesnt really work well. Therefore the window trim isnt that great sadly...