Model Cars Magazine Forum

I JUST STARTED BUILDING MY AUTOCAR A64B AND MAKING A TANK BODY FOR IT USING PARTS FROM A AMT FRUEHAUF TANK TRAILER KIT. I WOULD LIKE TO PAINT THE TANK BODY TO LOOK LIKE STAINLESS STEEL IF I CAN FIND A GOOD SPRAY CAN PAINT TO USE FOR IT. IS THERE ANY GOOD CHROME PAINTS IN A SPRAY CAN THAT LOOK REALLY GOOD AND WORK WELL ON PLASTICS ?

A decent paint would be Dupli-Color Chrome. You can find it at most automotive supply stores. But you will need a good automotive primer for it. Just make sure you sand the primer smooth or you'll have little bumps in the chrome. Also the paint takes an extremely long time for it to cure completely and not leave fingerprints. I used it for a chassis and I left it alone for well over a month. I hope this helps.

What's goin' on...

There's several options availiable. If you're really serious about this project there are companies that can chrome the barrel (tank body). At HobbyTownUSA is a paint called SPATZ that works well but it's close to $20.00 a can if I remeber. ModelMaster has the Metallizer line of paints. Aluminum (I Higly Recommend) ,Stainless,Magnesium,Brass and so on. Testors has the Chrome and last is the Alclad that requires an air brush to be applied. Here's a picture of a tanker I built several years ago using Dupli-Color Chrome. It looks more like clean aged aluminum more so than chrome.

2453664261_4964f277f3_o.jpg

I JUST STARTED BUILDING MY AUTOCAR A64B AND MAKING A TANK BODY FOR IT USING PARTS FROM A AMT FRUEHAUF TANK TRAILER KIT. I WOULD LIKE TO PAINT THE TANK BODY TO LOOK LIKE STAINLESS STEEL IF I CAN FIND A GOOD SPRAY CAN PAINT TO USE FOR IT. IS THERE ANY GOOD CHROME PAINTS IN A SPRAY CAN THAT LOOK REALLY GOOD AND WORK WELL ON PLASTICS ?

mix 3 testors chrome to 1 silver and do a 3 to 1 to thin. use a black primer. its what id did on this trailer.

tanker0003-2.jpg

mix 3 testors chrome to 1 silver and do a 3 to 1 to thin. use a black primer. its what id did on this trailer.

tanker0003-2.jpg

I think he's looking for spray paint. Very nice job on the tractor and trailer.

Another thing I was thinking about...Doesn't Model Masters have their metalizers in spray cans? I think they have a stainless steel. Just make sure to seal it.

In reference to you're question cocerning a paint that looks like stainless, look no further than Testors Aluminum Plate Metalizer spray cans. TRUST ME ON THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have built several 1-25th gasoline pumps where I have had to replicate a brushed finish. I first used this paint on a model of a "Flatbed " wrecker years ago The truck placed First and a couple of years later , placed Best in Show at Harrison burg Virginia. Thank you Shanandoh Valley moddelers. The trick is to sand the plastic especially if you do any body work down to a shine with at least 1200 grit paper!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT PRIME OR IF YOU DO , SAND THE PRIMER to 1200, the smother the finish, the better and more realistic the metal shine. I also did an oil delivery truck using the A M T Ford F-600 tilt cab as a base,. The tank was made with Evergreen styreene plastic and a lot of plastic body filler It was built to replicate a Heil Tank. If anyone needs a picture let me knoe as it won First two times running at an I P M S show. Ed Shaver