Model Cars Magazine Forum

R&MD Co Thickstun Head Cover question....

I am working on the Revell 40 Ford Street Rod kit, and decided I'd use these Thickstun head covers on this engine. The package says they are 1/25 scale, but they are HUGE compared to the kit pieces. Am I missing something, are they supposed ot be that large? A quick Google Search exposed no photos to use for reference, so here I am...

Any help or light that could be shed would be appreciated!!!!

I am working on the Revell 40 Ford Street Rod kit, and decided I'd use these Thickstun head covers on this engine. The package says they are 1/25 scale, but they are HUGE compared to the kit pieces. Am I missing something, are they supposed ot be that large? A quick Google Search exposed no photos to use for reference, so here I am...

Any help or light that could be shed would be appreciated!!!!

I found two pics ot the actual covers here http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74394

Hope this helps.

Len, I just finished looking at both the comments and the pictures of the Thickston heads. Since Idon't have the model parts you are referring to it's hard to determine if they are "Correct" for your 59 A B block. As far as the stories and pictures go , everyone is right as to why and how the heads came into play. I saw a pair at the Pate swap meet back in 1984 The fellow said they were original. and he wanted 800.00 for them .I thanked him for his time as I needed two water pumps for a late model 8 B A truck motor I still have. Hey put a picture up lets see what you do have. Meanwhile I'll help you in any way that I can being as I still work and rebuild the real ones from time to time. Ed Shaver

Len, I just finished looking at both the comments and the pictures of the Thickston heads. Since Idon't have the model parts you are referring to it's hard to determine if they are "Correct" for your 59 A B block. As far as the stories and pictures go , everyone is right as to why and how the heads came into play. I saw a pair at the Pate swap meet back in 1984 The fellow said they were original. and he wanted 800.00 for them .I thanked him for his time as I needed two water pumps for a late model 8 B A truck motor I still have. Hey put a picture up lets see what you do have. Meanwhile I'll help you in any way that I can being as I still work and rebuild the real ones from time to time. Ed Shaver

Wait a minute does that mean u work with vintage speed equipment???? How much did the 1/25 scale covers cost? I may buy a set as i have 2 revell coupes and would like to make on and old schoo hot rod with all vintage speed goddies.

Here are the original masters from Rik Hoving. They look like the right size to me.

FlatheadEngine_resin01-vi.jpg

Flathead_engine02-vi.jpg

lyle are all of those parts still avalible through r&mcm like the intake air cleaner heads head covers. If the are do you have thier email so i can ask what it costs? I would now realy like to build it now. Can u let me know?

Here are the original masters from Rik Hoving. They look like the right size to me.

FlatheadEngine_resin01-vi.jpg

Flathead_engine02-vi.jpg

Lyle,

Thanks for those pictures....can I ask what engine that is they are on? I am staring to wonder if my lack of flattie knowledge is why I think they are too big. Maybe I am trying to put them on wrong? I will use some white glue to assemble it, then take a pic for some feedback.

tks

i think these were mastered to fit the Revell '50 Ford pick-up kit's block. the block in that kit is a bit bigger than the other kit's flatheads.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I knew something was up....Somone on another board mentioned a simialr issue, that the engine in the 40 Ford was a smaller version both physically and HP wise....guess I need to break out my 50 and use the engine in there if I want to have a flattie with the Thickstun heads....

tks again....

Remember that Thickstun head covers COVERED the heads on the engine. Therefore they are slightly bigger than the heads, themselves. I don't know for sure what engine they are on in the pic.

Lyle,

thanks, I think between the info from you and Dave, my proble is solved, I will break out thr engine from the 50 Ford and see what I find. I will also be sure to share all my findings with you all since you've all been so helpful....

Wait a minute folks you're showing a photograph of what looks to be an earlier 59 A B in a 32 Ford, youre also talking about the engine in the 1950 Ford F-1 which is an 8-BA they are really two distinct blocks . However there are some parts tha can be swaped. Still the heads will interchange even though the water outlets wont be in the same place. Remember to, that the late 8BA also uses adifferent timing cover along with a modern distributor. Ed Shaver