Model Cars Magazine Forum

This is the project I'm working on. I'm combining two kits to make one. I'm using the 78's frame, engine and drivetrain. Then I'm placing the 71 cab, bed and interior on it. I've already measured and closely looked at what mods I might need to make. I already noticed that the frame on the 78 has a longer wheelbase so I'll be cutting out about 7/16" of the frame. I'm choosing the 78 frame because it I think it will be easier mounting of the 4X4 components on it instead of the 71 frame. That also means that I'll probably be putting the rear in later to make sure the rear wheels line up correctly in the wheel well. The color I'm choosing is the factory two tone color scheme. I'm going with white along the bottom half and a dark metallic blue on top. I'm going to use the factory wheels from the Moebius kit instead of the chrome spokes from the 78 kit. I'll paint the wheels blue as well. Anyways I'll post some pics as I build. Thx.

IMG_0896[1522].JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I started this conversion myself a while back and I found that using the 71 frame was pretty easy (maybe easier than cutting the 78 as the wheel base wont be correct anyway).  I used the 78 springs and axles and engine cradle, the crossmember for the transfer case will be located for the 71 interior tub mounting point as the pieces are almost identical between the kits. The 78 uses it for a cab mount and the 71 uses it for the tub as mentioned. They should be pretty close to the same location. I am using a custom made heavy duty 4 speed for mine so I haven't figured the lengths just yet but here is a mockup of mine so far. I know Moebius is coming out with a 70 4x4 but I am impatient and can't wait!

IMG_1064.JPG