Model Cars Magazine Forum

Decal Help

Country Modeler

• 3 months later...
On 2/5/2018 at 1:10 AM, Country Modeler said:

Does anyone have Decal Templates you use? I have been making simple stuff, but would like to know how others approach making decals and getting the correct size.

I once made templates of an Indycar diecast, to design decal sets for a dozen different cars. I applied masking tape to the model, drew the various edges and folds with a pencil (roughly). I then removed them and applied them flat to a piece of paper for scanning. Stretching the tape should be avoided as far as possible. Next I drew lines over them in CorelDraw, and this gave me my templates. I also did the wings and endplates, not shown here. Note CorelDraw: this type of vector graphics software is *essential* for designing decals.

templates1.jpg

The various markings were then drawn, also in CorelDraw, without being bothered by the scale. Part of them could be found as vector artwork, the rest was done by hand, also in vector.

Then the markings were scaled by copying them on the templates, using photos as the reference. You can even make a print of it, and attach it to the model for a visual check.

templates2.jpg

For a Nascar body, that has mostly flat panels, this approach should work well too. It's an involved process, but the results are satisfying!

And I repeat: you need to master vector graphics software, like CorelDraw.

Rob

Edited by robdebie