Model Cars Magazine Forum

Swamp Rat XXX fuel routing

2lapsdown

The fuel systems are quite complex on these cars and the main thing with a nitro engine is to get as much fuel as physically possible into the cylinders.
The Swamp Rat XXX was raced in 1986 and the fuel systems has changed pretty much since the, but here is something to go by.

5a8b20f5af255_Single20Fuel20Pump20Schematic.jpg.b69813648033d6a4e5f1a87f0dc1205d.jpg

5a8b222e0f1c3_Barrel20Valve20Schematic.jpg.99da0e750ab68866dc9b5252acb24793.jpg

5a8b21dd5eb36_Injector20Schematic.jpg.83f535ba3d19d71fdf3ed129b9ca4848.jpg

The injector drawing is a bit too modern as it has ten injector lines on top of the blower, but there were four injector lines on each side under the injector hat and four lines on each side under the blower into the manifold runners at the time Garlits ran that car.
The two red lines going into the back of the heads goes to injector nozzles right behind the intake valves where the main part of the fuel is delivered into the engine, but I don't know if Garlits used that back then, if not he might have used a system with eight lines per side under the blower instead of the four I mentioned before.
But it doesn't matter that much, as long as it looks busy and kind of right you are on the right way.

Edited by Force

• 2 weeks later...

John also, Garlits hid some of his fuel line secrets back in the day, being run under the blower manifold and such as he later told about.

For a model, there are lots of closeups to be found on search sites.  The fuel lines do get complicated and numerous.  For example, if you don't mind, here an idea;

29968365ku.jpg

29968377vj.jpg

You'll need super thin wire and patience.  I truly believe, every scale fuel line you can build in, adds reality to your model.

I hope you don't me posting my own pics,  I'd just like to enhance perhaps some possibilities.

Michael

Hi John,

I ran across the same questions not long ago.  Lots of pics available when you do a search, like " Garlits' top fuel motor".

Here is one I snatched, my old PC went south, so I can't say where the pics came from.  Here a look at a 4 hole blower hat from the bottom, the black lines are fuel lines;

32073087wm.jpg

Here a look from above;

32073089zp.jpg

In other words, I can save you some time looking.  Anything specific, I might just have a pic to clear any questions. 

Greetings, Michael

The man;

32073157xs.jpg

Later on he admitted to also have one fuel line to each cylinder, attached to the heads directly to the intakes, which meant these were unseen and running under the blower manifold and out of sight.  Not illegal, just being tricky so the others didn't immediately catch on to his success.

Edited by 10thumbs